turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ray Eye

Started by 157buck, April 28, 2015, 12:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

157buck

Recently bought one of his dvds.  He has some interesting outlooks on calling.  Somewhat unconventional compared to what most old timers will tell you.  He calls a lot and seems to kill a ton of birds.  What do you guys think about him and how he hunts?  He has me intrigued.

Onpoint

Quote from: 157buck on April 28, 2015, 12:06:18 PM
Recently bought one of his dvds.  He has some interesting outlooks on calling.  Somewhat unconventional compared to what most old timers will tell you.  He calls a lot and seems to kill a ton of birds.  What do you guys think about him and how he hunts?  He has me intrigued.
I own several ray eye dvd's. the guy knows his stuff, but on the other hand he is hunting prime ground with minimal pressure. While I'm not trying to take anything away from Mr. Eye, I don't think his tactics would be very productive at LBL.

Ralph-NY

Like mentioned above seems to a nice guy and good hunter but conditions determine how you should call.  He does get to hunt some great spots too.  I have called alot and had birds run in and had other hunts when the bird didnt cut the distance until I shut up.  Take his temperature, give him what he dictates and squeeze the trigger.  Good luck

chcltlabz

Quote from: Onpoint on April 28, 2015, 01:05:54 PM
I own several ray eye dvd's. the guy knows his stuff, but on the other hand he is hunting prime ground with minimal pressure. While I'm not trying to take anything away from Mr. Eye, I don't think his tactics would be very productive at LBL.

You need to talk to the man in person.  He's not your normal "celebrity" hunter, he's been there and done that.  His seminars are top notch and he explains the reasoning and evidence behind his techniques.  Sure he gets to hunt some prime spots, but I'm sure there are very few of the traditional high pressure spots he hasn't been, and been successful at.

I hunt the exact same way and have been plenty successful, almost exclusively on public land.  If turkeys truly got "call shy" they'd go extinct.  They get human shy, not call shy, so stop sounding like a human and start sounding like a turkey.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: chcltlabz on April 28, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
...If turkeys truly got "call shy" they'd go extinct...

Bingo!

157buck

Has anyone taken his class?

Britton40

Quote from: chcltlabz on April 28, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: Onpoint on April 28, 2015, 01:05:54 PM
I hunt the exact same way and have been plenty successful, almost exclusively on public land.  If turkeys truly got "call shy" they'd go extinct.  They get human shy, not call shy, so stop sounding like a human and start sounding like a turkey.

I have witnessed this in action. The man kills turkeys.

jordanz7935

One of my favorite "big name" turkey hunters. He definately is a great turkey hunter in my book. And he isnt a part time snake oil salesman like some of the big name guys.

Bowguy

I agree he has great videos and has different ideas. Look at it this way, lots of guys talk about change up strikers, using tube, trumpet or wingbone calls to sound different.
Why not help yelp on a lynch, primos, or strut box call like everyone else?
Cause we wanna be different, to make turkey sounds the average guy can't or won't practice to get.
In that mindset his thoughts on gobbler sounds, in my opinion, are on the money. I don't do it exactly his way but gobbler fights are one of my bread n butter techniques when soft calling or waiting them out fails. Some years as high as almost half the times I try it.
Bear in mind been doing fight scenes over 30 years and I know when it may work. Some years as low as 20%, still decent odds. Heck as good as getting married. Hope women ain't reading this. Remember what the surgeon general posted last week. Marriage gives you headaches n can be a strong contributor towards hearing loss.
Anyway back to the initial post. If gobbler sounds are so different than hen sounds, in fact moreso than changing calls I'd say there is some merit. Yes I do understand he's hunting prime land but that goes for all celebrities and I don't see them taking kids out on lots of their DVDs. So props to him for that

BowBendr

Ray Eye is the real deal. He kills birds on good ground yes, but also kills a lot on heavily pressured ground too.
His whole philosophy is based on talking to turkeys, not calling "at" turkeys. If more people would learn to have a conversation with a bird they'd kill more birds. Simple as that.

Sent by this stupid phone

budtripp

I always liked watching Ray's hunts. As far as the prime ground comments go I remember when he used to be on the HS Strut prostaff videos and he was one of the only ones on the video that killed birds on public ground. He grew up hunting public ground in the Ozarks so don't think he doesn't know how to kill pressured birds.

mgm1955

Can't argue with all his success.

GC

I hunt Ray Eyes old home stomping grounds.  The very same Ozark mountain that his grand dads farm was at the base of.  It's all mile upon mile of steep rugged Ozark heavy timber ridges and hollers with a sparse turkey population.   Fellas, it ain't easy!  I was there this morning in fact, heard three gobblers that gobbled on the roost and never made another peep the rest of legal hunting time.  They simply disappear...

WildTigerTrout

One of the best. I watched an older dvd where he killed a nice NY gobbler on high pressure public land. When the bird presented a shot he did NOT mess around and put the bird on the ground quick. He did'nt use a blind or decoys either. He could call a gobbler across a crowded Wal-Mart parking lot!  :o
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mudhen

I'm a fan of his teachings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka