OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on a new Rangefinder

Started by zelmo1, January 31, 2015, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I am looking for feedback on rangefinders. I misjudged a field shot last year and I don't want to do it again( the story does end well, clean kill but at 52 yards) Thanks, Al Baker

hookedspur

I have and use the Scout by bushnell and its a good one, but I got my son a Halo for christmas and he says he likes it better than my Scout, and it was half the money ..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jordanz7935

I have an older nikon monarch 800 that ive had for years. It has always worked great for me and it seems very durable. I have dropped it out of treestands more times than id like to admit and its never skipped a beat. The newer wildgame rangefinder that my buddy has seems to work great too but im not sure about its durability. IMO, i would get one from a proven optics company(Nikon,Bushnell, Etc.) and i wouldnt get one with any of that angle compensating stuff because i think those are mostly just a gimmick.

drenalinld

Depends on how you want to use it. For turkey ranges, any will do.

land cruiser

What's the budget? Are you going to use it only for turkey hunting or other game as well?

zelmo1

I may use it for big game but primarily for turkey hunting. I almost made the ultimate mistake and shot a bird at a long distance in a field, I never would have shot if I knew it was over 50 yards. I can sleep, it was a clean kill. Actually it was the fastest kill ever for me. I still don't like the idea of taking a chance on wounding a bird, That is why I want to start using a range finder.  I would like to keep it under $200. Thanks, Al Baker

TN Beard Buster

IMO!! Nikon makes quality products and there is a company here in Middle TN called Opti Logic that makes some really nice rangefinders, binoculars, and flashlights.

Gobble!

For bow and turkey hunting get one of the cheapest, they all work great inside 75 yards.

grayfox

I used a Bushnell Scout for several years. The first one went bad before the warranty went out & they replaced it with a new one.  I sold the replacement to a friend & bought a newer version.  It was a great rangefinder especially for the money.  I would buy the Bushnell Scout if you only want to use it for turkey hunting. Mine had 3 different modes for ranging.  One was a brush mode that really came in handy.  Now I have the one below & I couldn't be more happy with it.  Better optics & better for ranging farther distances.  It may be more than you want to pay but if you are going to be using it for other types of hunting at longer ranges you'll be glad you got a better one.  Good luck with your choice.

Well after replying to this thread I see the newer Bushnell Scouts are waaay more expensive than the one I had so it may be out of your price range as well.  Christmas of 2013 I ordered a Nikon Prostaff 3 Rangefinder from Cabela's on sale for $120 for my step-dad to bowhunt with.  It would work well for you for turkey hunting.  It should be in your price range.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-reg-RX-i-TBR-Compact-Rangefinder-with-DNA/1161086.uts

land cruiser

Sounds like you don't bells and whistles, Nikon, Bushnell or leupold would work

mgm1955

I use a a leupold and it's the best I've owned.

teke

I use a Leopold RX 600 works great for turkey and bowhunting.

bmhern

I have a Nikon rifleman 550, its about 5 years old, I use it for bow, turkey, and rifle hunting. It works great and have had no issues at all with it. You can't go wrong with it!

silvestris

I would like to have one, but I refuse to buy anything by Bushnell.  I sent my Bushnell Holosight back to them for repair.  I suspected that all it needed was a replacement battery cap (one of the connections had broken off in the cap).  They replied that it was beyond repair and offered to sell me an inferior sight for more than I could buy it for on the net.  They returned my sight and a little solder has it running as good as it ran when I bought it back in the 90s.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

zelmo1

Thanks for the feedback. I will try a few mentioned here and go from there. Thanks again, Al Baker