Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You don't shoot turkeys when you're in bed!

Started by busta biggun, April 14, 2012, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

So as I left my house at 5:00 a.m. it was pouring rain. I started to turn back because they are calling for extreme weather this afternoon and it was supposed to start raining hard around 7:00 so I wasn't even sure I would get any hunting in. As I slowed to turn back it let up so I went on. It stopped raining just as pulled into my spot. I heard several birds gobbling in a huge group so i figured if the rain would just hold off an hour or so I will see some action. Just as the turkeys started moving closer to me here came the cows. They decided to do the old "sniff the decoy" thing. I knew this routine lasted 30 minutes or so and ends with my decoys in a pile covered in cow slobber, so I decided to try to chase them off. The birds were only 100 yards away or so and I knew I may spook them by doing this but it was my only chance. The cows were running around in circles making a huge commotion but the birds were down in the hollow so they probably wouldn't see the craziness, but I know they heard the stampede. I let things calm down a bit and made some more soft yelps. 10 minutes later this guys struts over the crest. Because of the terrain I had the decoys very close. This bird walked 10 feet from me to get to the DSD jake. The rest is history. I am already home, bird cleaned and I am getting ready for a nap. Let it rain baby,...let it rain.

FANMAN

Ray, Congratulations on your rainy day gobbler.Sounds like a great afternoon for a nap.

P.S.  Is there any video of you chasing those cows???  That would be a hoot.

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

slamman

congrats good bird.  i was headed out for a little scouting this morning but it started snowing so i decided to hold of a day or two.

wvnut3

uarobert

Good job gettin' it done, rain or shine. The way I see it, the rain just makes them easier to locate, since they like to be out in the open. I killed my first birds in the rain. I may have been soaked through, but I can guarantee that I didn't mind when I had birds on the ground.

busta biggun

Thanks for the comments guys. Mike and Lou,...sooo great hearing from my buddies from the Gobble Kings!!! Hope things are going well for you guys!

Trapper

Way to go brother, nice bird!   :icon_thumright:
Your right you'll never kill anything if u stay home.

Ol'Mossy

Mailman

Our first season is only 4 days long rain or shine I'll be out there. If raining I will take my blind. If not then gobble lounger. Nice hunt congrats. I'd like to see video of cow chase also.
One Shot One Kill

BigHooks

Woodsman4God

Quote from: busta biggun on April 14, 2012, 10:23:45 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Mike and Lou,...sooo great hearing from my buddies from the Gobble Kings!!! Hope things are going well for you guys!

Congrats Ray

<-----another former Gobble King

boomer

Shotgun Dave

Way to Go Ray that's  a nice one . Is that your hunting dog he looks like a good one !!! Congrats From Shotgun Dave
All things work together for good !!!

oklahomaboy

Nice bird Ray.  I found that I can spray my white dog with Krylon Camo and he don't stick out on stand as bad.