OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can you tell Gobble direction w/ Walkers Game Ear Pro HD?

Started by HoggleGobble, February 23, 2012, 11:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

I need some hearing protection for my left ear, yet I don't want to limit my ability to locate Gobbler's..... Looking at buying the Walker's Game Ear Digital Pro HD, but don't want to if I can't tell where the sounds are coming from. Also, I don't want the leaves crunching and limbs breaking to magnify and hurt my hearing. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Mossygoose

TANK

I tried some once...........I could not course sounds and after a few minutes(8-12) I had a headache that progressed. Thats just my 2 cents..............ended up returning them.

vaturkey

I have a pair of Walkers Power Muffs. They work great but the only drawback that I have is I cant pinpoint which direction the gobbles are coming from. I mostly use them before the season to give me a general idea of how many birds are gobbling on a given morning. Crows will drive you crazy also. If I had to do it again I would not have bought them JMO. Good luck with whatever you decide.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

bird

Thanks for the info Ricky. I too wondered how beneficial they were.

runngun

I have some and I can hear great with them, I just can NOT tell which direction it is coming from !!!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ctwny1

I have the Walker Game Ear and you must keep the volume low to match your normal hearing, you can pin point direction. Keeping the volume low you will hear gobblers at great distance.

Tank...if your getting a headache within a few minutes you've got the volume to loud...lower the volume.

SKFOOTER

I have the Pro-Ears 300 muffs in Natural Gear camo and I can tell the direction the sounds come from with them.   It's amazing. :turkey2:

HoggleGobble

Quote from: ctwny1 on February 24, 2012, 06:24:20 AM
I have the Walker Game Ear and you must keep the volume low to match your normal hearing, you can pin point direction. Keeping the volume low you will hear gobblers at great distance.

Tank...if your getting a headache within a few minutes you've got the volume to loud...lower the volume.

Do you use one or two?

Neill_Prater

I know you guys aren't going to want to hear this, but if you have significant hearing loss you probably should go to an audiologist and have a hearing test. My wife has substantial hearing loss, which has progressively gotten worse the last few years, so we finally broke down and decided to see what could be done. Virtually all her loss was in the higher frequencies, which made it difficult for her to hear conversation, especially with the grandkids. What is amazing is the technology now available in hearing devices. They aren't cheap, but are computerized and only amplify the portion of the sound spectrum she has difficulty hearing.

Now, she hollers at me to turn down the TV which I have louder to compensate for the tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, that I suffer from.  :)

hoyt

Like I posted before, I used them for yrs. and I will tell you, it's a dicey situation when you are leaning against a tree and there's a gobbler gobbling his head off just about right on top of you and you have no idea if he's behind you, in front of you or where. Makes it even worse cause you don't want to move to look around. Been through that situation many times and has cost me birds also.

Keep them turned down low, and if possible take it out of your ear when the gobbling gets close enough that you don't need it.

ctwny1