OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

truglo ssx disaster....

Started by DirtNap647, April 21, 2015, 07:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

truglo ssx shot it 3 times choke stuck in buddies barrel took pipe wrench to get it out what a mess not sure what happened and to the eye it looks not swelled? and other chokes now will not go in... $1400 browning maxus :z-dizzy:

SumToy

may can run a tap in barrel and fix it. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dirt nap on April 21, 2015, 07:03:00 AM
truglo ssx shot it 3 times choke stuck in buddies barrel took pipe wrench to get it out what a mess not sure what happened and to the eye it looks not swelled? and other chokes now will not go in... $1400 browning maxus :z-dizzy:

Please have your buddy contact Ken Levin in CS at Truglo 888.8.TRUGLO He would like to discuss the details with him.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SCDieselDawg

Ouch! I've got a few of those chokes. Guess there's always a lemon some where.

jordanz7935

Wow another ssx failure....sorry for your buddies luck.Honestly i think thats like the 15th ssx failure ive seen on here this year. Hopefully truglo will replace his barrel.                 

owlhoot

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 21, 2015, 10:49:22 AM
seems like more than just a few? Must be into a bad run of them now?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on April 21, 2015, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 21, 2015, 10:49:22 AM
seems like more than just a few? Must be into a bad run of them now?

Even one is too many but considering all those chokes that are out there, the real number of chokes with any kind of problem is very small. I know of hunters/shooters who've been using the same SSX for years and years with no issues at all.

I have the original SSX that started shooting in 2004, a TG150X, and being conservative, I'll say it's had hundreds of shells through it. It patterns better than it did when it was new and still measures as it did when it was new.

It's always bad when someone has a negative experience with any product and I really understand how that is. We've all had something that did not work as we wanted it to work or that just plain malfunctioned. We've read many of those stores over the years. It happens.

The important thing in reality is how the situation is handled. I'm always willing to be of help to anyone regardless of the brand of the product. I don't trash any product or person. I just try to be of help as do most folks here at OG. That's one of the things that makes this a great site.

I'd encourage everyone to be helpful and try to help resolve problems. It's just the right thing to do.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

grayfox

Hate to say but I had one seize up in my 870 first shot.  Run a steel pin through the port hole & beat it with a hammer to get it to break loose.  This was just before turkey season & I had just got my red dot sighted in good & decided to try the SSX with some lead 6"s. I was lucky it did not mess up my barrel. I love TruGlo products but I'm not putting another one in my barrel & risk ruining it.  If they don't get this mess fixed it's going to hurt the sale of their products. 

DirtNap647

will give truglo a call in the morning clark

STP22

What shell were you shooting? What was the choke constriction?

DirtNap647

.643 I think it is and a  long beard 3 1/2" 5 shot

10gaugemag

I wonder if most of these SSX failures are with Longbeard ammo. May have something to do with the resin used as buffering not breaking up and forcing what is essentially a slug through the choke.

grayfox

Dirt nap they'll make it right with you.  Their customer service is very good.  I had a new choke in the mail a few weeks later.  But I just couldn't get up the nerve to try it again.  I'd already put too much time & money into patterning the gun & sighting in the red dot to risk it again especially right before season started.  That was the first bad choke incident for me in all the years I've hunted.  Had a Sportsman '58 Remington to blow up in my hands while crow hunting one morning but that's another story.

My hunting buddy a few years ago bought a new Benelli SBE & the modified choke that came with it split from end to end & he wasn't even shooting a turkey load in it.  He took it back to the sporting goods store where he purchased it & they gave him a new one.

grayfox

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 21, 2015, 10:38:42 PM
I wonder if most of these SSX failures are with Longbeard ammo. May have something to do with the resin used as buffering not breaking up and forcing what is essentially a slug through the choke.

Mine was a Winchester Supreme HV 1.75 oz of #6's (Black Hull)

Birdyblaster

Have the people having these problems been using anti seize on the choke threads? Failure to do so can definitely cause them to stick.