turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke tubes for Longbeards in a 870 ?

Started by strutnva, January 04, 2015, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I have been using Hevi-13 thru a Jelly head .660.  Looking to test some LB's in #5 and #6, what tubes have you had good results with for an 870?  $30 for a box of 5 is really starting to make me think when we killed them for years with lead before Hevi-13.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: strutnva on January 04, 2015, 09:59:45 AM
I have been using Hevi-13 thru a Jelly head .660.  Looking to test some LB's in #5 and #6, what tubes have you had good results with for an 870?  $30 for a box of 5 is really starting to make me think when we killed them for years with lead before Hevi-13.

The "Turkey Choke Evaluation Project" should be completed very soon. You'll be able to see what chokes worked best with Rem-Choke barrels and WLB shells in both pellet count and pattern quality. Hopefully, it will be of help to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

d.winsor

I use Briley straight rifled chokes in .665 and have had great results.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

DAk28

i recently shot the Carlson Lb it is .660 with the Lb# 5 and was very pleased with it. The day I shot was not the best weather conditions but here is a pic of my 40 yd target

Quackwacker NC

I shoot a ventilator choke and get 180-190 with #6's LB's, 3" gun

drum817

My personal preference is Sumtoy chokes.  I use the .650 with lb #6's and love the patterns!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

strutnva

Should the Jellyhead in a .660 perform well or will it be a bust?

drum817

Quote from: strutnva on January 04, 2015, 03:49:27 PM

It can't hurt to try the choke you already own.  Longbeards aren't very expensive so if I were you I would throw a few down range and see what you get.  Best of luck!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

TauntoHawk

My jellyhead 665 gets more pellets in the 10 than my sumtoy .660 but the sumtoy throws a more even pattern so I hunt with the sumtoy. Both LBs and hevi shot same poi
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobble!

Quote from: strutnva on January 04, 2015, 03:49:27 PM

For the price you can't beat a JellyHead. I'm sure you will be pretty happy with that pattern.

WildSpur

I would be shocked if the Jellyhead 660 did not do well in your 870. 

Cluck more, yelp less

SpitNDrumN

I have heard so much good stuff about jellyhead .660 with 870's that I went ahead a bought one. I will have pattern pictures soon with 3" #6's long beards xr with 870 jelly head combo.

dms2511

I was able to get 267 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards with my 870 shooting 3 1/2" Longbeards #6's with a Kicks GT (.665)