OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning set up???

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 20, 2014, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well, I am dreaming about next spring and thinking about how to set my late father-in-laws BPS.  It has a 24" barrel with an Invector Plus choke system.  I would like to shoot 3.5" Hevi #7 or the 3.5" #6 Longbeards if I can find them.  I do not have the Longbeards yet but I have my eye's open for them.  I would like to have good numbers at 40 yards but not a super tight pattern at 20.  I am willing to give up a little distance if need be.  What choke and ammo would you start with.

I have an 870 with a SumToy choke that shoots great out to 40 yards with Hevi #7 and a 3" 870 that hammers birds at 40 with a SumToy and Hevi #6 already set up.  The 3.5" 870 had a red dot and the 3" has open sights which I perfer right now.   

CrustyRusty

I'd use what you've been using and look at the hevi choke if you want something different.  My invector plus liked the hevi choke with 3.5 #6's giving me excellent even patterns averaging 250's.. 

packmule

Sounds like you know what you're looking for, but if you're looking at the Longbeards don't forget the 4s and 5s.

I have an Invector plus BPS (26" barrel) that I set up for Longbeards this year.  I was shooting a Hastings .680 choke and 3" 4s.  I also patterned a SSX and a .675 Kicks with those loads....they all patterned very well but the Hasting's POA was dead on so I went with that.  It was a devastating setup for gobblers this year.

Good luck!

allaboutshooting

You have all kinds of choices with that gun. The Invector+ barrels are very forgiving and many well designed chokes will do what you want them to do. It's really all about the internal geometry of the choke tube and what the designer believes works best.

That is one reason that a .670 in one brand may shoot very much like a .640 in another brand. The "internals" are different and that makes it perform differently.

The JEB's, the Wright's, the SSX and the Pure Gold all have features that are desirable with the BPS. There are others of course but those are the ones that work best in my Invector+ barrelled shotguns.

If you could find a Browning Full Strut turkey choke, that's another very good choice and the one recommended by the design engineer for many of Browning's Invector+ barrelled shotguns.

I would encourage you to try the 3" shells as well as the 3.5" shells. Many times the 3" will pattern more efficiently and give more dense patterns than the 3.5" shells and they much less recoil. The 3.5" shell shoots no further, it just has more shot in it.

I like the standard Hevi-13 loads in both #6 and #7 shot. Normally, I prefer the #6 shot because that's what I shoot in competition and know its capabilities very well from shooting it so much.

Currently, I have only 1 BPS but have had several over the years. I have a few barrels for it. At one time I also had a 22" barrel but it had too much muzzle flip for me.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Snoodsniper

Longbeard and flight control #5 lead both work excellent in mine out to 40 yds. My barrel is 21" and ported. Also using a ballistic specialties .665 choke.  BPS is a darn nice gun. You can expect some cheek slap with 3.5" loads. At least that's been my experience. I switched to a pistol grip and no longer have that issue. For me a trigger job was the best thing I ever did with the red dot coming in a close second.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoodsniper on May 20, 2014, 07:26:46 PM
...I switched to a pistol grip and no longer have that issue...

What pistol grip did you get for your BPS???

stinkpickle

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 20, 2014, 02:43:15 PM
Well, I am dreaming about next spring and thinking about how to set my late father-in-laws BPS.  It has a 24" barrel with an Invector Plus choke system.  I would like to shoot 3.5" Hevi #7 or the 3.5" #6 Longbeards if I can find them.  I do not have the Longbeards yet but I have my eye's open for them.  I would like to have good numbers at 40 yards but not a super tight pattern at 20.  I am willing to give up a little distance if need be.  What choke and ammo would you start with.

I have an 870 with a SumToy choke that shoots great out to 40 yards with Hevi #7 and a 3" 870 that hammers birds at 40 with a SumToy and Hevi #6 already set up.  The 3.5" 870 had a red dot and the 3" has open sights which I perfer right now.

I have a 26" BPS (only 3" chamber, though), and I settled on a Pure Gold .670 shooting H13 3-2-6's and 3-2-7's.  But as mentioned earlier, you will have a LOT of good options.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 20, 2014, 09:48:04 PM

It's a choate mk5. I've had it a couple years. Bought it directly from them.....I looked everywhere to find one..

wisconsinteacher

Thanks for all the info.  I need to pick a choke tube first and then grab a few of the shells I have on hand to try first.  There is a part of me that wants to try the Longbeards out of one of my 3.5" guns.  I will also keep in mind the idea of shooting 3" shells in my 3.5" gun.

Keep the info coming.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoodsniper on May 21, 2014, 06:20:30 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 20, 2014, 09:48:04 PM

It's a choate mk5. I've had it a couple years. Bought it directly from them.....I looked everywhere to find one..

Dang it!  I knew you were going to say that.  I looked everywhere a few seasons ago, and Choate quit making them.

wisconsinteacher

I plan on getting the trigger tuned also.  What weight would you ask a smith to work the trigger to?

Snoodsniper

Stink- you may want to try calling choate. That's how I got mine.

WIteacher - sorry for jacking your post. I had Rob Roberts set my trigger at 3.5 lbs ( his recommendation) and it is beautiful.

the Ward

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 21, 2014, 12:54:39 PM
I plan on getting the trigger tuned also.  What weight would you ask a smith to work the trigger to?
I personally like a shotgun trigger right around 4 to 4.5 or so give or take a little. It's light enough to give a good feel and help accuracy without being too light if you want to do some wingshooting with the gun or hunt in colder weather with thicker gloves. Super light triggers are great for the range but can be difficult to deal with at times under normal field conditions. Trigger pull is kind of a personal preference though and what may work great for one may not be comfortable for another. A good trigger is one of the best modifications you can do to a shotgun as most are pretty stiff from the factory.