News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke?

Started by Sportdog7, April 09, 2013, 11:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captin_hook

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 10, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
I'll chime in if I may.  Now this is just something I got from a guy yesterday at Walmart when I was picking up some more Federal 3.5" Turkey Thugs.  This guy came up to the ammo.  I thought I would see if he has shot any of this new ammo and tell him he might want to give them a try since I have heard reports from guys on here whom I trust that they shoot great, so I ask.  He says yep and he then pointed to the Winchester 3" 1 and 3/4oz # 5's I believe it was and he says it shot the best at 40yds in his guns.  I said what kind of guns do you have.  He said a 835 with a Star Dot choke and some other 870's and I forgot the rest.  I then said what did you shoot at for a target.  He told me a piece of notebook paper.  I then said how do you know that the Winchester loads shot the best since you used such a small target.  He said it hit the paper with more shot.  I had to chuckle inside.  I then explained my logic to him about using a bigger piece of cardboard backer to catch most if not all of your pattern so you will in fact know if what your saying next time when you say these shot the best if that is in fact true.  He walked off.  I thought I might have made him mad.  But I seen him later and tried to ease the air if I indeed upset him.  He said know you didn't and he appreciated the tip and will try that next time he shoots.  He said it makes sense to him.

But I told this story because so many folks think they know what they are talking about, but in reality don't.  Not that this guy was a liar, but he just wasn't as educated on patterning as some who have done a lot of it.  Now how many more guys would he have told this what he told me had I not corrected him?  Now to get back with what I want to say here.  But I hope this guy in fact finds out the truth with the chokes and guns he has and the ammo he is shooting by doing what I told him. 

A good shooting turkey load like let's use Hevi-13 #7's in either 3" or 3.5" since most know on here how well they shoot in every gun.  Now I know there will be some that say they didn't shoot good in their gun with the chokes they tried.  But I will politely say this that they more than likely didn't have the right choke or constriction size or a combination of both for I haven't seen a gun yet that wouldn't shoot them better than Hevi-13 #6 loads.  Simply put the 7's have more shot in them, so they are gonna shoot more denser patterns.  Now any good shooting turkey choke, and I do mean the proven winners like Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Haymaker, TruGlo SSX, Jelly Head, etc... just to name some of the better current production chokes are going to shoot these loads as well as good shooting lead loads, better than a full or extra full non turkey choke.  I myself haven't found a full or extra full standard choke to even come close to shooting with these better turkey chokes.  That's been my findings.  Some folks on here need to experiment more on patterning and buying some of the good turkey loads and turkey chokes and pattern with big sheets of cardboard at a true 40yds to educate themself more to what really is in fact the case with what choke or loads shoot the best.  Now I hope I said that without coming across wrong.  But it is the truth.   

This is so true. I try to take the time to explain the proper way to pattern to some guys. That is if they don't think they already know everything . Some guys just don't like taking advise.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I use the 24"x28" poster board that costs 30 cents per sheet at Wal-Mart.  I hang it up 28" Tall and fire away.  I'm normally pretty well on Left to Right.  This is almost always big enough to draw not only my best 10" circle, but also my 20" circle.

FL-Boss

I use exact same thing

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

scottyvega

okay i've done my research and shooting, i first shot my gun with factory choke and got my POI. i shoot little high and left 3 shots all the same hole.  So i then tried shooting 2 of my 3 chokes was waiting for PG choke to show up.  At 40 yards i shot the jelly head and the ICBD.  Out of my NOVA they shot okay compared them from load to load finding the ICBD was just a bit better of a pattern.  Gave the jelly head to best friend put in a stoger and watch out that thing is a dart throwing shot man let me tell you.  So today my PG choke and i was like a kid in a candy store.  I shot the PG with the HEVI-SHOT blend, and with two shot at 2 diff targets i was 138 and 160 pellets in a 10 in circle.  Then i tried the hevi number 7's and well lets just say i had 314 BB's in a 10 in circle and my circles were pre drew targets i did have a 10 mph cross wind.  So my final thoughts is my set up is going to be  NOVA with PG choke and hevi blend or hevy #7's but again thanks everyone helpful input and i hope to post a pic of my thunder chicken soon

scott      :anim_25:

alclark2

:z-winnersmiley: Sounds like you did your homework and have a good combo!
Hoosier Hunt n Fish