turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 with a 20" barrel

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, March 12, 2019, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagg-it Tag-it

So I bought a tactical turkey 835 back when they first came out ten or eleven years ago. Had the tactical pistol grip stock and 20" barrel. I hated the pistol grip stock and so replaced it years ago with a regular stock. The other thing is that it has never shot where I aimed it. To remedy that I bought a Burris Fastfire almost at the same time as I bought the gun. So I can make it shoot where I want it too. However, I hate using an optic with a shotgun. Has anyone else had a short barrelled 835 that wouldn't shoot where you aimed it? I've never had that problem with any other shotgun I've owned. I like the 835. If feels good. I don't have to baby it as its pretty much a beater gun. I don't feel guilty dragging it through mud or just in general hunting it rough. I'm probably going to trade it in for a 835 with a 24" barrel. I guess I am gambling that it will shoot straight. But am I just as likely to get another one that won't shoot where I point it? Any thoughts from you guys who have owned multiple 835's?

bbcoach

I bought an 835 with a 24 inch barrel about 10 years ago and it shot low right.  Corrected it with a Bushnell Red dot.  I have a question, if your 835 is a dedicated turkey gun and you have corrected the POA/POI why mess with it?  With today's chokes, shells and guns our shotguns shoot like a rifle out to 40 yards anyway.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Don't like using an optic. Maybe there is no answer to what I'm asking. Might be a 24" barrel on a different gun would just as likely not shoot where I put it. I was thinking about doing the combo that comes with a 24" and 28" barrel and using the longer one for waterfowl. I'm probably just trying to justify buying a new gun, ha.

dirt road ninja

It can vary gun to gun and choke to choke. You have a couple options: 1. Have a gunsmith bend the barrel to shoot POA. 2. Keep the optics on it. 3. Replace the optics with adjustable iron sights(my preferred option). 4. Keep buying and selling guns till ya get one that shoots POA.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Thanks Ninja.....actually after sleeping on it I think I'll just keep it. I may get a different optic.

Ross R

I had the same gun that was a gift. I am a lefty and got a new stock for it. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I didn't know any better at the time and sold it.  I wish I still had it but maybe with a 24" barrel. 

cjordan

Not saying this will correct your problem... but I've had the same issue with an 1100. Depending my on how tight my barrel nut is or isn't depends on POI. I tightened it by hand to what I thought was good enough, to find out POA/POi was bad off. After studying it over some, and lots of reading I used a pair of Chanel locks to tighten it a few more clicks. POA/POI got much better.
It's worth a try and cost nothing.