turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on "off-brand" guns...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 05, 2017, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I am looking to get a dedicated turkey shotgun, but do not want to spend "alot" of money. I looking to spend no more than $400 (this would allow me to save up in time to have it for this season.

Looking around the web, I am finding some nice looking guns, but they are what I would call "off-brand" names, such as ATA or TriStar.

Has anybody had any experiences with any of these types of brands? If so, good or bad? It will be used strictly for turkey hunting, so it won't have to be put through the paces year round.

Are these worth a look, or not worth the money?

Edited note: I am looking for an all camo 12 gauge shotgun. Also, what is the shortest barrel length I should be looking at for turkeys?

Tom Foolery

My niece has a TriStar 20 gauge semi that's worked great.  It seems to be a Weatherby clone. 

I'm a short barreled guy, my guns are 20" and 21" barrels.

If I was looking for a dedicated turkey gun in 12 gauge and didn't want to spend a ton I'd hit the gun shops and snag a used Mossberg 835.  They're $275ish around here and you can shoot from 2.75" - 3.5" cannon fodder through them.  Mine was a tremendous shooter I just switched to the youth 20 gauge and got rid of it.

dirt road ninja

If it were me. I'd look for a used 835, 535, or 870. New ones won't be far from your budget.

MK M GOBL

When I decided to build a dedicated Turkey Gun 20+ years ago, I started with a used Rem 1187 and went from there, did a few thing to it here and there to save some initial costs but the results couldn't have turned out any better!

MK M GOBL

bbcoach

I just came from my local Wally World and they have Brand new 835's on the shelf for $387.  I have an 835, as do many on this site, and they are Great turkey guns.  I bought mine from Wally world 10 years ago and she has given a dirt nap to many birds since.  They pattern extremely well with just about any choke in the .670-.680 range.  You may find a off brand used gun out there for less money but the 835 is a TRUE turkey killer.  Good Luck with your search.

dirt road ninja

CrustyRusty

With the cost of new 870's being so reasonable and with the rebates available I just dont see getting an off brand shotgun.  Also true with mossbergs as well.  I would suggest that any day over an off brand. 

tha bugman

I can't wait to get to Academy's and check that Yildiz out first hand....

I have had a tri star and they are good guns for the money...

But I am a Remington and Mossberg fan

Daniel703

I just bought a brand new Benelli nova black synthetic 24 inch barrel for $380. And I know they are going for 400 at academy right now. It's a very tough accurate gun. Buy the black synthetic and camo it yourself. I bought a $30 carlsons turkey choke for it and it patterns great.

Swampchickin234

I prefer old Remington's and winchesters, and any browning.  Remington frames fit me, and I love them.  With that being said, I would by a Turkish made gun right now before I bought a brand new 870. They are just not the same.   I have a couple of yildiz guns, and have absolutely no complaint.  I hunted with a man who shot a tri star this year and he absolutely loved it.  It reminded me of a beretta 390/391 as does the yildiz a71.  In my opinion, the trick to these Turkish made guns is to check into the parts background of them. Example, yildiz warranty work is done through briley in Katy tx.   Tri star has an excellent service option and cz USA, fast becoming a very popular gun in handgun, center fire, R.E.M. fire, and shotguns are sleek. I have shot them, love them, etc.   Some of them also are junk.  With that thought in mind, so are some of our American classics new productions.    I don't want to buy a brand new gun and have to all kinds of polishing to get it to shoot.  I know there are lemons with them all.  K guns, the 3 bs, CG, L, etc all have problems.  So my opinion, if you like the gun, contact the company, ask about service, document the conversation , that way if you ever need it, give them some encouragement.  My experience has been that these import companies here within the states have much more friendly service than some tha have been here forever.  They have to have good service or they are gone.   

With all of that said, if I was in your shoes, I would buy a Remington 870 wing master at a pawn shop, get it threaded for chokes or by a barrel, or get ya an old 1300 or mossy   The reason being, I like classics.  You got to get what YOU like. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northms

I bought a new Mossberg 835 turkey thug 20" barrel with a red dot scope on buds gun shop online for $402 to the door. Take a look and see if they're still in stock. Fully camo. Even the red dot.

deerbasshunter3

I already have an all black, synthetic stock 870 Express Super Mag... I am thinking my best bet would be to customize this over getting a new one...

houagie

:alien:
Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 07, 2017, 01:57:40 AM
I already have an all black, synthetic stock 870 Express Super Mag... I am thinking my best bet would be to customize this over getting a new one...

thats what i would do.

bbcoach

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 07, 2017, 01:57:40 AM
Great idea.  870's are great turkey getters.  Deep clean the barrel and get a choke in the .665 range.  Check the POA/POI with dove loads at 15-20 yards and correct if necessary.  LB #5 or 6's in 3 or 3 1/2" should be a deadly combo with a .665 choke.  SSX, Sumtoy or IC are excellent choke choices.

SumToy

Yildiz or Tristar  I coach the 4H sporting clay team and I see them all the time.  They shoot more rounds in a week then most of us on the forum shoots in a year.  They hammer them guns and they work. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA