Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Good Bird

Started by Turkeyman, May 08, 2024, 10:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I hunted a bow-only spot the first four days of the NY season and close but... So I went to a different area Monday and heard several birds about 500 yards away. I got there and was figuring a positioning plan, as I was in a brushy area, when I heard a false owl hooting and closing in on them about a hundred yards to my left. Darn. This is private ground but "open" private...the landowner let's anybody hunt it. I think owl-boy spooked them because he was getting close, it is pretty open timber, and the birds stopped gobbling. Never heard from any of them again. I was just hanging out for awhile and never heard any turkey calling, so I went into the timber about 25 yards and set up. I let a half hour go by and made my first wingbone call...nothing. I kept calling every so often and finally elicited a response about 150 yards out. He was coming in slow, but gobbling as he did. I sporadically called. When he got to about 75 yards he started circling me. Nice open timber but, due to the lay of the land, I never saw him. When he shut up for awhile I was thinking he was coming in. Not. I heard him gobble over a hundred yards away as he was leaving across a marshy area...telling the hen "I was there". So I started laying on him with the wingbone, and he turned back. This time, after he shut up for awhile, I heard him drumming and saw him approaching from 50 yards. When he got to 35 yards he met some TSS from my 20 gauge.

19#, 10 3/8" beard, 1 1/4" spurs

wvhoyt19

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Kygobblergetter

Awesome. Congrats on a great bird and an exciting hunt!

JeffC

Congrats on a fine Tom. Good luck with getting 2nd with your bow.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

A real accomplishment, well done!
"Solo hunter"

Moore

That's awesome, congratulations
[

aclawrence

Congrats