turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Disinfecting Your Mouth Calls "How Do You Do It?"

Started by VA_Birdhunter, February 25, 2012, 05:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Wanted to see how others disinfect there mouth calls?  Reason I ask is I always keep a few in my vehicle and work/run  them going and coming from work (so I can stay married  :icon_thumright:).   Now I've got a terrible cold and the day before I woke up sick I used several of them and I don't want to end up sick again from the possible germs I left on my mouth calls or right before season or during season from this.  Which I have heard several story's of people getting sick like this.   Now I will say I have tried a few ways to disinfect my mouth calls before such as soaking them in mouth wash and socking them in stuff made for mouth calls (can't remember the name of it).  Just want to see if there is any other way you all accomplish this....might be a stupid question and simple fix  but you don't know if you don't ask! Thanks for any input!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

va longbeard

Roostem33

I use Crest Pro-Health Mouth Wash, its has no alcohol, works great for mine.

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Cut*N*Run

For me, I do 50/50 water and mouthwash bath for a few minutes when I get back in from a hunt. At the very least, I rinse the ones I used in the sink. Then I dry them with a paper towel and keep them in a breathable pouch in the fridge. That's my method at least.

The cold viruses you have won't be a problem- they die quick on a dry surface. It's the tougher bacteria that you want to get rid of as much as possible. Not cleaning mouth calls is basically like spitting into a petri dish, letting the bacteria culture up for a few days, and then licking the insides of the dish.

When I do some practicing on the way to work, I just bring the calls in, rinse 'em, and then throw them in the fridge with my lunch. That keeps them out of the heat of the truck too.

Turkey Trot

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Does hydrogen peroxide adversely affect the adhesive in the tape or the latex?

It would kill the stuff you want to kill without imparting flavor.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

VA_Birdhunter

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 25, 2012, 05:50:33 PM
For me, I do 50/50 water and mouthwash bath for a few minutes when I get back in from a hunt. At the very least, I rinse the ones I used in the sink. Then I dry them with a paper towel and keep them in a breathable pouch in the fridge. That's my method at least.

The cold viruses you have won't be a problem- they die quick on a dry surface. It's the tougher bacteria that you want to get rid of as much as possible. Not cleaning mouth calls is basically like spitting into a petri dish, letting the bacteria culture up for a few days, and then licking the insides of the dish.

When I do some practicing on the way to work, I just bring the calls in, rinse 'em, and then throw them in the fridge with my lunch. That keeps them out of the heat of the truck too.

Cut*N*Run good advice I do need to bring them in when I get home...I leave my other calls in the frig. when I'm not using them but I need to store these in there to with my lunch so I can remember to take them with me.

God Bless

paboxcall

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 25, 2012, 05:50:33 PM

I do the same, using a stronger 70/30 mouth wash and tap water mix.  I only run a stacked frame mouth call anymore which makes keeping it "clean" easier as the reeds never touch, so it dries faster...

But a few years ago I had to end a week's vacation mid way through because of a terrible sore throat and fever I developed.  I'm convinced it was the mouth call, so "How do I do it?"  I throw them away after a a couple days of use.  Getting strep throat, a copay to the doctor, and then another copay for antibiotics isn't worth saving $5 or $6 on a mouth call. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Dbrnmllr

Funny.  I practice on the drive to work too for the exact same reason.  I do the alcohol free mouthwash to clean mine.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Dbrnmllr on February 25, 2012, 07:26:08 PM
Funny.  I practice on the drive to work too for the exact same reason.  I do the alcohol free mouthwash to clean mine.

Dbrnmllr......One of the officers that I work with told me a couple of days ago "you can really tell a hillbilly when you walk by there car in the parking lot and there front passenger seat is covered with turkey calls" .  He was referring to my car. Gotta do what you gotta do!!!  :z-guntootsmiley: 

TRKYHTR

I don't do anything but make sure they dry out daily. I also rotate the calls daily, so they have time to dry out..

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

redleg06

I usually have triplicates of each call I like and I rotate them out during the season. The ones that are with me or in the vest/truck are in a skoal can with a paper towel that's damp with alcohol and water mix. After a day or two hunting with them I change the calls and paper towels in the skoal can. The ones that are "out of rotation" are in the freezer in a 50/50 mouthwash water mix.

It's more complicated to write than it is to do. I only have about 3-4 diaphram calls that I really love so I buy a few of each particluar design so I have them ready to go when I need them.

turkey slayer

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 25, 2012, 07:55:03 PM
I don't do anything but make sure they dry out daily. I also rotate the calls daily, so they have time to dry out..

TRKYHTR
Same here, never had to clean mine.

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on February 25, 2012, 07:48:04 PM
Quote from: Dbrnmllr on February 25, 2012, 07:26:08 PM

Dbrnmllr......One of the officers that I work with told me a couple of days ago "you can really tell a hillbilly when you walk by there car in the parking lot and there front passenger seat is covered with turkey calls" .  He was referring to my car. Gotta do what you gotta do!!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

VA_Birdhunter - I get similar comments about my vehicles.  One day i got so use to it being in my mouth that i forgot to take it out when i walked into the office.  One of my female coworkers finally asked what I had in my mouth after about 1 hour.  I never even noticed until she said it.  I am surprised that I wasn't yelping every 15mins. Funny.  I actually receive quite a bit of flack from several of my less redneck coworkers (mostly female) about that one.  They don't turkey hunt so they just don't understand us..... Their loss.  Haha