OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your opinion...what type of call is most realistic

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, September 10, 2015, 05:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

So we all know our turkeys and we know our calls and various platforms.  Which type of call do think most realistically sounds like a hen TO a gobbler?  I ask this because I have always been under the assumption that what WE hear isn't exactly what HE hears.  And a trumpet doesn't sound like a box call which doesn't sound like a pot call etc etc....I would love to hear various opinions and why. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

BABS9

I would think that a mouth call would sound the most realistic to a gobbler being that the user is proficient with one. Pot calls a close second. Just my opinion.

West Augusta

I've always heard that a trumpet and wingbone sound most like a real hen from a distance.  I've never tested it though.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

Quote from: West Augusta on September 10, 2015, 08:41:58 PM
I've always heard that a trumpet and wingbone sound most like a real hen from a distance.  I've never tested it though.
I think a lot of guys would agree with this.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Funny you say that,  I have always heard this trumpet/wingbone theory as well.  And from Billy Buice personally.  I am curious what others will say.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TRKYHTR

I think the best mouth callers sound the most like a real turkey. But the best turkey yelp I think comes from a great box call.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

dejake

My vote would ne a mouth call.  That being said, I don't think it matters much.  I've heard a bunch of hens run the gamut of sounds; high to low, clear to raspy, 3 yelp sequence to over 20.  I think cadence is more important.

Spring Creek Calls

Every type of call will have its advocates and rightfully so. A well made box call in the right hands has my vote. Second place, crystal/glass potcall.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

SS Calls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on September 10, 2015, 11:48:33 PM
I think the best mouth callers sound the most like a real turkey. But the best turkey yelp I think comes from a great box call.

I agree with Joe. I'd also add a scratch box, definitely one of the most realistic yelps I have personally heard when listening to Josh run one from 50 yards away in the woods.

drenalinld

Not sure how to know what sounds most realistic to a gobbler. Judging by what he honors by gobbling in response it seems to be a box call more times than not. However, I think this is because a box call produces a two-note pleading yelp and this type of yelp takes much more skill with other calls. Just my opinion.

I do find it interesting that so many think a turkey can recognize any turkey in it's area by voice yet cannot distinguish a box call from a real turkey. I am not saying this isn't true, it just seems curious to me.

vaturkey

Quote from: TRKYHTR on September 10, 2015, 11:48:33 PM

THIS !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

chuckward

From a distance a box call sounds the most realistic to me. Chuck

Britton40

mossyhorn2

I've always had good luck with a mouth call, but that being said I've probably heard more turkeys gobble to a pot call than any of my other calls. I don't own a trumpet or wingbone though.

ol bob

A mouth call may sound best to person but to a turkey you want find anything better than a wing bone or trumpet.