Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Looking for another pot call to complement my Lights Out Aluminum pot

Started by MikeStaten, February 22, 2013, 09:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I've hunted with a bunch of lesser pot calls but recently picked up a Lights Out aluminum pot call and it is amazing.  Now I'm looking for another pot call to complement the lights out call.  Any suggestions?  I may go with another Lights Out but not sure which one would be best.  I'm also open to other calls, David Halloran's Crystal Mistress is high on the list. 

If you were to add another pot call to complement the Light Out call I have, which would you suggest?

Thanks,
Mike

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

scoot12

you hit it on the head,  if you are thinking crystal mistress pull the trigger,  awesome call.  Also his twisted sister is another great call.  If you don't own a slate call Lonnie Sneeds hot hen is about as good as it gets.  For $30 you get one of the best sounding slates out there in my opinion.  Scoot

BrowningGuy88

MikeStaten

I only carry two pot calls.  Do you think the crystal surface is good to complement an aluminum call? 

Gooserbat

Contact Gary at Magnolia Game Calls,  Top notch guy and top shelf calls.  He goes buy magnoliagamecalls on here.

http://www.magnoliacalls.com/
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jbird22

I have a Lightsout aluminum and a Lightsout copper. I think they compliment each other well. The copper just has a different,distinct tone to it. Something a little different (such as copper) could make all the difference in the world on that one stubborn gobbler.

BUT, If you don't already have a good glass/crystal pot I'd recommend you get one. As far as a maker, that's up to you. I have a Woodhaven Cherry Crystal and a Fatal Attraxion (Stony Brock) glass and I really like them both. The Fatal Attraxion with a Lightsout yellowheart striker is a sick combo if you ask me though.

longhorn

Crystal mistress,woodhaven cherry classic crystal,Buddy Stang's hunters deluxe crystal, Lonzo's birds eye maple glass, and Hank's game calls glass are all great calls. I'm sure you know, with different strikers and two pot calls you can get several different sounds.

packmule

My two hunting pot calls are the Lightsout aluminum and a Crystal mistress.  In my opinion they compliment each other very well.  I would recommend that you consider a persimmon striker. . . Wendell made one for me when I ordered the aluminum call from him.  It is a very subtle striker and tones down both calls with nice mellow yelps, clucks and purrs.  I generally carry 3 strikers with the 2 pots, a dymondwood striker, the persimmon striker, and then switch between yellowheart, padauk, and purpleheart for the 3rd striker.  These 3 strikers and 2 calls provide a lot of range and great turkey sounds.

Good luck.

scoot12

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 22, 2013, 11:28:36 AM
Contact Gary at Magnolia Game Calls,  Top notch guy and top shelf calls.  He goes buy magnoliagamecalls on here.

http://www.magnoliacalls.com/
Gary makes a great call,  he just listed some in the classifieds.  I own a glass and a slate and great sound and craftsmanship.  Scoot

Gooserbat

Yeah I have several of Gary Joffrion"s calls,  My favorite pot is a shallow pot Osage slate over wood that has a nasal sound he build years ago.  I also have a ceramic over slate double mag built from ambrosia, an aluminum set in mesquite, and a glass over slate built from white oak. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

REBELYELL

Another good option is a Hooks cedar pot in bronzed glass. It is full of turkey. Here is a sound byte if you want to listen to it.

http://www.hookscalls.com/inc/sdetail/assassin_glass/101/181

GC

If I liked the Lights Out aluminum call then I would get a Lights Out slate or ceramic for a more mellow and subtle tone and close quiet talk.  The advice about the persimmon striker is right on, Wendall made me one last year and it quickly became my one favorite all around striker that works on just about every surface.

slwayne

I have one of Wendell's aluminum pots and I also have a Crystall Mistress.  Have to say that the Crystal Mistress is my go to call but always have the aluminum with me for a change of pace.  After reading all of the positive comments I will definitely be placing a call to Lonnie Sneed to talk to him about a slate.  Anyway, back to your question, the Crystal Mistress is an excellent call and I would gladly add my recommendation to all of the others.

MikeStaten

Ordered a Hot Hen from Lonnie Sneeds.  I have not seen one bad review about him or his calls and the price makes it all the better.