OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crystal Conditioning Question

Started by thunderbirder, April 11, 2017, 08:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderbirder

I recently got the Crystal Mistress and love it. I have a small Arkansas stone to condition it. Do I condition the same spot all the time (ie. before every hunt) or should I eventually make a new "scratched surface" on the call?
Thanks, Al

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Double B

Just use the spot the call maker scratched up if it's big enough to suit you. 
Followed by buzzards

thunderbirder

I need to practice my calling since I am new to the sport, so I found that I needed to condition it after about 30 minutes of continuous practice. After a while I am afraid that I will eventually eat through the surface if I go over the same spot.
Thanks for your help, Al

TauntoHawk

To freshen it you don't need to really grind in there just lightly rough up the area, I find a little bit of scotch brite to clean the surface is all thats needed. if you are grinding a hole through the call you are really taking some frustration out on that call
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

merriamsman

Once the surface has been initially scratched with a stone, you only need to touch it up with a scotch brite. Always rub it in the same direction so that you don't bring the dust back and forth.

kjnengr

Don't forget to condition the tip of your striker from time to time too.  I use the red scotchbrite for my strikers. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: merriamsman on April 11, 2017, 10:12:17 AM
Once the surface has been initially scratched with a stone, you only need to touch it up with a scotch brite. Always rub it in the same direction so that you don't bring the dust back and forth.
x2 Back and forth will smooth it out instead of ruffing up the surface...it shouldn't take more than a few passes most generally..

Triple B

Another option is to use a small piece of drywall screen.It does the job, and easy on your call. Especially if you are using to much force with the stone.Crystal and glass will collect in the tip of your striker,so remember to keep those clean as well.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Triple B on April 11, 2017, 03:26:21 PM
Another option is to use a small piece of drywall screen.It does the job, and easy on your call. Especially if you are using to much force with the stone.Crystal and glass will collect in the tip of your striker,so remember to keep those clean as well.

X2 I have grown to really like a 220 screen for glass & crystal. 2 or 3 strokes across with thumb pressure = good to go!

Jbird22

On crystal or glass I like to use a stone for the initial conditioning (if it comes unconditioned) but from then on it's 220 drywall screen only.

thunderbirder

Quote from: Jbird22 on April 11, 2017, 07:57:54 PM
On crystal or glass I like to use a stone for the initial conditioning (if it comes unconditioned) but from then on it's 220 drywall screen only.
And do you use that 220 drywall screen on the same conditioned spot again and again, before each practice session/hunt; or do you eventually make a new conditioned area? One member suggested that the resale value will decrease, but if resale is not a factor then would there be any logic in starting a new spot on the call?

SteelerFan

Same spot. I might expand that spot to the top 1/3 of the call, just because. But that's all you'll need.

Jbird22

Yes, 220 drywall screen over that spot from then on out. If the call is worth its salt that's all you'll need to condition.

southern_leo

Quote from: thunderbirder on April 11, 2017, 09:53:23 PM
And do you use that 220 drywall screen on the same conditioned spot again and again, before each practice session/hunt; or do you eventually make a new conditioned area? One member suggested that the resale value will decrease, but if resale is not a factor then would there be any logic in starting a new spot on the call?

The only reasons to expand that spot is either you play in a manor that you need a larger playing area, or the more likely option for people is not having to look down at your call before playing everytime. To each their own it's a preference. I personally use just a small area and haven't had issues. I condition the ones I make initially with a stone then touch up with 220 or smaller sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

thunderbirder

Quote from: southern_leo on April 12, 2017, 12:33:11 PM
Quote from: thunderbirder on April 11, 2017, 09:53:23 PM

The only reasons to expand that spot is either you play in a manor that you need a larger playing area, or the more likely option for people is not having to look down at your call before playing everytime. To each their own it's a preference. I personally use just a small area and haven't had issues. I condition the ones I make initially with a stone then touch up with 220 or smaller sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me. I'd rather 'mess up' a small area and have more surface to work with in the long run. Better control this way.
Thank you all for your help.
Good luck out there,
Al