OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Plastic Pot Calls

Started by Cutt, February 18, 2016, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I see where many custom call makers are offering plastic pots now. As I was looking for a good sounding Aluminum call, some suggested a plastic pot from certain Custom Call makers. Now I,m not doubting they don't sound good, as many other Custom Calls do sound good.

But where this is losing me, what makes a Custom Plastic Pot any better sounding than some mass produced plastic pots? As I have Plastic Aluminum Black Magic, which sounds pretty good to me, but now Custom Plastic Pots sound better? Just can't see getting a plastic one that's no better than the one I have? Is it that some Plastic Calls are just overrated, simply because they are Custom from a well know name, as compared to some Brand Name mass produced ones, which are not Custom.?

Spitten and drummen

In for this. That's a good question. However I will say I have some acrylic pot calls that sound amazing. I have had some plastic production calls that would get the job done , but most of us are addicted to collecting calls . We just continue to hoard. It's a sickness for sure.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Stump.270

I 100 percent agree even tho I don't have any of those acrylic yet but I make no guarantee that it's not coming g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

I HAVE A Lohman Thunderdome Slate  THATS MADE OF PLASTIC SOUNDS GREAT
MAYBE THERES GOING TO BE A MARKET FOR PLASTICE BODY'N CALLS  .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Cutt

The main reason I ask, do you feel certain calls get overshadowed by an honest opinion, regardless  a Custom or Big Name Brand ? Simply due to the fact that some have used a good Custom Call of one surface, so render all their calls the best? Or simply being biased with a certain Call Maker, so what I buy, or have is the best?

I realize these are all just opinions, as they can vary from user to user, for various reason. Like a certain call might sound good to ones ear, but not another's?, which I can understand.

But what I can't understand is, when asking about opinions on good sounding Aluminum Calls, there was not much mention of the SS Custom Aluminum? And no I'm not affiliated with them in any way, to be honest never heard of them until listening to the sound file. Which to me sounded like one of the best sounding out there to me anyways, but not much mention of it, why? And another example I know Hanks Aluminum Call won 1st and 2nd in 2015, and never a mention of it. I'm sure these judges ears were not biased? But no mention of it, why? And now plastic are the best, why? Going on my own I'm decided on the SS for now, but often wonder if most opinions on calls are more biased, than their actual sincerity? No pun intended, what's your opinion?

scoot12

I think Darrins plastic pot is thicker then the pots from the mass produced calls.  For plastic pots these calls sound awfully dang good.  I think some guys think because its plastic its junk.  I have an old primos power crystal that sounds aweful good also.  Better then some of my exotic crystal calls that cost 3 times as much.  I dont know what Darrin does on the inside of these pots but it works.  Scoot 

MK M GOBL

Some of this would lead to the term "plastic"... Same as with high end duck and goose calls, there are molded plastic and higher end grade turned "acrylic" calls. Not to say plastic can't sound good but the acrylic calls resonate better IMO. I do have an old Primos Battey Slate from back in the day and that call worked!

MK M GOBL

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: scoot12 on February 18, 2016, 08:49:46 PM
I think Darrins plastic pot is thicker then the pots from the mass produced calls.  For plastic pots these calls sound awfully dang good.  I think some guys think because its plastic its junk.  I have an old primos power crystal that sounds aweful good also.  Better then some of my exotic crystal calls that cost 3 times as much.  I dont know what Darrin does on the inside of these pots but it works.  Scoot
Just got off phone with darren. This is exactly right. I do know after talking to him and listening to them , I have a stoned aluminum and crystal in plastic pots on the way.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

boatpaddle

Plastic/molded pots have been around for a long time....

D.D. Adams had plastic pots many years ago....

Along came Cody calls in the 80's and the shift in friction callmaking went to wood pots..

I'm not a callmaker, so I'm guessing when I say, that the reasoning for making friction calls with plastic or molded material may have something to do with the weather, among numerous other reasons....IE: Less cost of materials, no wood turning tools needed, ect, ect......

The material used for non wood pots are not greatly affected by weather conditions such as humidity, and barometric pressure, I would think, because of there being non-porous material.

The inside of the molded pot will not absorb sound like a wood pot that is not treated or sealed, will....The heavier exotic woods reflect sound better then some softer woods used.....

A pretty piece of figured walnut is much nicer piece of eye candy vs a plain jane molded call...

I used two pot calls extensively this fall here in the vastly changing temps, humidty, and ever changing barometric pressures....One wood pot and one molded pots made by the same callmaker...Both were slate...

My results were......the molded/plastic pot remained more consistent in sound thru out all the weather changes....Day in & day out, it didn't changed in pitch or tone...

The wood pot changed, when exposed to colder temps on those frosty mornings & when the humidity was high....barometric pressure played another big role in the changes of the wood call...

I did use the same striker on both calls....

The changes were not dramatic, but the wood pot was not near as crisp & clear, when subjected to the different weather conditions.....The slate surface was slippery on a couple mornings....

I wish, I would have kept the digital recordings of both calls being played, but I erased them by accident.... :'(

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

scoot12

paboxcall

I essentially only carry one pot anymore, and its a corian pot by Perfection; and like the molded pots it is very consistent regardless of weather.  But for many years, I only carry molded pot calls, mostly from Tuscarora Legend. 

And I agree with boatpaddle, these molded plastic pots were consistent in the fall and spring, cold and warm, rain or shine.  All from Tuscarora, I have the smaller slate over glass Jake Taker, the glass over slate double sided, and Harold's aluminum pot call.  I also hunted a Quaker Boy aluminum also in a plastic molded pot.

A pile of turkeys liked those Tuscarora Legend calls over the years way too much!
  :OGturkeyhead:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

The Woodsman

Zumer,
Cody tried it too.... ;)

Does Harold Shields still make the Legend? I had one long ago.

Denny

scoot12

Still wish I have my legend slate from Harold,  I gave it to a youth as a gift for a mentor hunt.  He really liked it and it had great sound.  I remember it to be a very thin pot but so realistic.  Scoot

boatpaddle

Denny,

A very special call..... :icon_thumright:

Thanks for sharing it.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

gar

It is not just the construction of the pot that make a "custom call" custom.
Custom makers will use better materials all the way around. Not all aluminum surfaces are created equal for instance.
But, I dare say it is the attention to detail that only comes from a custom maker that makes the difference.