Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Kickin' it in the morning

Started by FullChoke, May 07, 2024, 09:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Well, my chances to battle wits with the ultimate survival entity will begin in the dim crack of dawn tomorrow. I have one possible candidate for the scoring board already scoped out. Let's see if he remotely approaches our exclusive 70 point club.

Report tomorrow.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke

Well, that didn't take as long as I thought it might. Target1 was ushered into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this morning at 5:56 after gobbling no less than 300 times while looking for love in all the wrong places.

I set up at the end of a small finger of woods that jutted out into a disked corn field. The bird started gobbling early, but was 100 yards behind me on the top of the ridge. I am going to assume that he weighed 3 pounds more than when I got him just from the incredible workout from the gobbling. Seeing that he was not where I thought he would be, I slipped out into the field and posted Brittany facing me at about 15 yards. I heard him fly down and he gobbling several more times on the ground. I then yelped loudly at him and he hammered right back. Shortly I spotted him out in the field heading for the treeline to the south. I yelped 1 time to him and he gobbled once he spotted his future Stormy Daniels. He made a hard left turn and sashayed his way up to her in strut. I eased the red dot on him and clucked hard. His head went up and our teammate 3seasons handloaded Tungsten envoy were deployed to negotiate a complete and unconditional surrender. And with that he was then reduced to simple possession.

And just like that, my Minnesota turkey season ended 30 minutes after legal hunting time on the first morning that I was out.

I miss Mississippi's spring season.

I've said it before, I love this sport.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

Congratulations!! Fun but quick,  I'll take those any day.

Vintage

Congrats on a nice bird and Quick hunt.

FullChoke

Quote from: 3seasons on May 08, 2024, 09:46:04 AMCongratulations!! Fun but quick,  I'll take those any day.
Thank you. You got that right. Your handloads flat cancelled any appointments he had inked in today.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Bottomland OG

callaway71

Congrats! Way to get it done. Two more birds and we'll be hard to beat.

FullChoke

Quote from: callaway71 on May 08, 2024, 10:04:26 AMCongrats! Way to get it done. Two more birds and we'll be hard to beat.

Thank you. He felt like he weighed 40 pounds with a thick beard and about 1" spurs. Probably won't score ultra high, but he was in the prime of his short life.

3seasons

Quote from: FullChoke on May 08, 2024, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: 3seasons on May 08, 2024, 09:46:04 AMCongratulations!! Fun but quick,  I'll take those any day.
Thank you. You got that right. Your handloads flat cancelled any appointments he had inked in today.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Appreciate it glad you're getting some good use out of them.

xarcher

Atta boy Norm.  I know you've toiled many hours in the past and come up empty.  Glad to see you had a slam hunt for once.  Now go getcha another. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

BBR12

Congrats Norman on a great hunt.

Roost 1

Congrats buddy.. sounds like a great hunt.

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

afhunter1

cannonball

Congrats, I knew you would get it done!