OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New primos bamboozled review

Started by Thundermtn, April 04, 2015, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

Picked this up today knowing nothing about it other than it had a bamboo pot and soundboard and I don't have anything like it.

My first impression is that it is really high pitched and really loud. Think soprano version of a power crystal with a volume knob that goes to eleven and a little less rasp and a later in stroke breakover. The accompanying striker is ok but won't make it into the vest. With a purpleheart or diamondwood striker it is super bright. If I choke it out with a horseshoe grip and run it with a hickory striker it goes down into the midrange and will talk soft with good tone.

It purrs and clucks real nice and is really dynamic in tone and has decent pop to it. You can change the pitch a lot with grip from the start to finish of a purr stroke. I will pack it some this year and see what the birds think but I have a gut feeling this thing would be ok on my easterns for a changeup or windy day long range striker call but I think it would be straight up murder on Rio's. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

ceejay

The whole "bamboozle"  thing just seems hokey to me. 

Thundermtn

For sure. Seems like all the new Primos stuff has a cheesy name. Wanted to try the pot material knowing how tough and light it is, but it's not really wood so I was curious what it would do.

Texforce

I took mine out for the first time last weekend on some Texas Rios------and you were right - it was murder (at least to one of the 4 Toms I called into gun range). It is very high pitched, and quite loud for a pot call. The clucks and purrs are as good as I have ever personally heard. It seemed extremely easy to operate (after I roughed up the surface for a good while). Right now, I will give it 10 out of 10......I'm batting 1000 w/it, what do you expect??

KentuckyHeadhunter

Whatever works I guess. I wonder if anyone actually hunts with an Uncle Si Jacked Up box call. After seeing the turkey hunting episode I wouldn't think you could call in a coyote with one of their calls.  I avoid Primos, K&H, and HS Strut (and others) like the plague but I would never bash someone for using it if it works for them.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Thundermtn

Don't discount everything made by the big call makers. I have a couple of HS pots that beat my Sneed(barely),  Halloran, and Platz for my early morning tree talker call. A crystal thunderdome will sell for ridiculous money for good reason. Play'em all and keep the good ones.

Texforce

zelmo1

:thanks: I am with Thundermtn. Use what works