OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some insight for folks looking for that next new call

Started by lightsoutcalls, February 08, 2011, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Quote from: mudhen on February 09, 2011, 09:30:55 PM
I can also add that strikers are really a critical part of the process.  I have found that some calls sound totally different using different strikers.

My approach is to keep a decent variety of calls & strikers around, and keep testing all of them until you find what you like.  Even then, I carry several strikers & calls with me in the field because conditions change, birds change, etc.

Good post Wendell  :)

mudhen

Mudhen, that is an awesome looking collection of calls!! You are right about the striker, I tend to stick with favorite strikers more than favorite pots.

I found Wendell online just before I found OG. I will have a LightsOut call or two before next Spring. It looks like you're a believer.

ChiefBubba

Wendell every call I've gotten from you has been good to go right out of the box. About the only thing I've ever asked from a call maker was a very raspy sounding call. For the most part I just let them build it the way they want. They know more about call building then I do, that's why I'm not building my own.  :D.  The one problem I end up with is I tend to start mixing up strikers and can't remember what was with a call originally.  :-[. Thanks to all the call makers for keeping my addiction going.  :gobble: Chief.

pappy

I love this post, it explains a lot that every buyer should know and understand, Wendell I wish I had your way with words...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Gobble Nole

Wendell did a great job when I called him and explained what I was looking for.  I since have a glass, aluminum, and slate call all hand made by him and I am proud to own them.  Each call is unique and takes time to master, but I am pretty confident in all three when I walk in the woods.  Also, it was very obvious that Wendell was more worried about putting out a quality product that satisfies the customer instead of making a little cash.  Great customer service and very good explanation.