OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alps Grand Slam vs Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2

Started by etapia, March 25, 2020, 04:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etapia

Hey guys, I know this has been debated time and time again.... but any input on the recent models of these two vests? Seems like these are the most popular vest out there. The grand slam seems nice but have heard tons of complaints on the seat's magnets. Everyone loves the seat on the Tat'r 2 but it seems really expensive for a vest without a frame ($99 w/out the frame and $129 w/ frame). Also all the reviews state that the Tat'r runs extremely large and now its only available in one size fits all. If you had to pick one which do you prefer? Any other options out there especially at lower prices?

blake_08

I just returned a grand slam vest to Mack's. I liked the vest okay but it felt bigger (bulky) than I like and I couldn't find enough stuff to fill all the pockets if I wanted to. Plus, the seat magnets were pure trash. The seat has buckles to hold it up but if the frame is in they seem hard to get to. I ordered a Knight and Hale RNG-300 in Bottomland instead and I honestly can't find one bad thing to say about it yet. Plus it has a speed seat type seat which is nice! Also, I found it almost 50% off on amazon. Paid about 65 dollars for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

etapia

Quote from: blake_08 on March 25, 2020, 05:30:19 PM
I just returned a grand slam vest to Mack's. I liked the vest okay but it felt bigger (bulky) than I like and I couldn't find enough stuff to fill all the pockets if I wanted to. Plus, the seat magnets were pure trash. The seat has buckles to hold it up but if the frame is in they seem hard to get to. I ordered a Knight and Hale RNG-300 in Bottomland instead and I honestly can't find one bad thing to say about it yet. Plus it has a speed seat type seat which is nice! Also, I found it almost 50% off on amazon. Paid about 65 dollars for it.

Thanks for the input! My worry with both is the bulk. I liked the idea of the game bag for decoys but where I hunt if decoys are used it's close enough to tote with a sling like the K&H's. Its more likely to walk far and uphill so the Knight and Hale may be the way to go! I was worried about the seat on these but it sounds like it works as advertised without having to take the vest on and off?

blake_08

Quote from: etapia on March 25, 2020, 06:14:21 PM
Quote from: blake_08 on March 25, 2020, 05:30:19 PM

Thanks for the input! My worry with both is the bulk. I liked the idea of the game bag for decoys but where I hunt if decoys are used it's close enough to tote with a sling like the K&H's. Its more likely to walk far and uphill so the Knight and Hale may be the way to go! I was worried about the seat on these but it sounds like it works as advertised without having to take the vest on and off?
Yes it does. The seat has 3 points of adjustment and you can dial it in to work perfectly. And when you stand up it stays tight to your but so it doesn't flop around like most. Because of that, you can sit down hands free and the cushion is where it needs to be. The vest itself has 10 adjustment points so you can make it fit about like a body harness. I haven't hunted with it yet but I'm really excited about it. If I like it as well as I think will, I'll buy another after season as a back up.

blake_08

I was kind of unclear on the seat. You can fold the seat cushion up and down easily with the vest on your body. If your sitting on the seat and you just stand up, the seat stays tight to your butt until you fold it up. Hope this helps.

Mossberg90MN

I would do Alps. Because that's what I did.

I bought the alps and it was awesome. Then cabelas restocked with there vests. Took my alps back to cabelas and got the cabelas vest. Went home and further inspected it...

It feel much cheaper in comparison. Partly because it is. I paid $180 for my alps through cabelas.

The cabelas vest just felt thinner and cheaper quality. That I felt the extra amount was worth the investment to me. So I went back and got my old vest back.

People do love that cabelas vest... but I have the utmost confidence in the Alps quality and longevity.

Those run and gun vests are awesome. I have the 200. My only issue is it doesn't have a game big. Regardless I'm also keeping that in my truck shall I feel the need arises.

skimerhorn

I have both. I have hunted with my cabelas vest the last 5 years with no issues. Wanted to try something new so I got a Alps this winter. The also doesn't have the room in it that the cabelas vest does so after I took out all the stuff I forgot I had packed in there it made up the wight difference of the frame. I've never hunted with a frame vest before. The alps feels a lil more bulky but that might just be the frame? The cables is comfortable and the alps seems to be from just messing around with it. Both seem built well. So the cabelas is good and cant say for sure about the alps but seems nice from what I've seen. Can give a better update in 3 weeks when va season comes in

etapia

Quote from: blake_08 on March 25, 2020, 06:22:21 PM
I was kind of unclear on the seat. You can fold the seat cushion up and down easily with the vest on your body. If your sitting on the seat and you just stand up, the seat stays tight to your butt until you fold it up. Hope this helps.

Makes sense but sound like it would still work well! It also looks like you got a killer deal on the price!

etapia

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on March 25, 2020, 06:24:31 PM
I would do Alps. Because that's what I did.

I bought the alps and it was awesome. Then cabelas restocked with there vests. Took my alps back to cabelas and got the cabelas vest. Went home and further inspected it...

It feel much cheaper in comparison. Partly because it is. I paid $180 for my alps through cabelas.

The cabelas vest just felt thinner and cheaper quality. That I felt the extra amount was worth the investment to me. So I went back and got my old vest back.

People do love that cabelas vest... but I have the utmost confidence in the Alps quality and longevity.

Those run and gun vests are awesome. I have the 200. My only issue is it doesn't have a game big. Regardless I'm also keeping that in my truck shall I feel the need arises.

Thanks for letting me know! Quality was my worry on the Tat'r 2 as well. Seems like all the reviews hyping them up are models made several years ago so I figured quality may have gone down since then...

etapia

Quote from: skimerhorn on March 25, 2020, 07:31:26 PM
I have both. I have hunted with my cabelas vest the last 5 years with no issues. Wanted to try something new so I got a Alps this winter. The also doesn't have the room in it that the cabelas vest does so after I took out all the stuff I forgot I had packed in there it made up the wight difference of the frame. I've never hunted with a frame vest before. The alps feels a lil more bulky but that might just be the frame? The cables is comfortable and the alps seems to be from just messing around with it. Both seem built well. So the cabelas is good and cant say for sure about the alps but seems nice from what I've seen. Can give a better update in 3 weeks when va season comes in

Does the alps seem too bulky to haul up and down ridges? I'm a little worried about this for both.

skimerhorn

Like I said just have t hunted in it so not sure. But setting it up in the yard with the frame is comfortable so if you got in a spot and needed the frame may make it worth it? Plus you can slip the frame out if you wanted to. Depending on where I'm hunting I would probably take the frame out if I was in a spot I had to walk far or hunting a really wooded area where I wouldn't need the frame

rxhunter13

I tried the grand slam as well and felt it was very bulky and didn't hold near as much as my Cabela's vest. Ended up sending the alps back.

etapia

Quote from: rxhunter13 on March 25, 2020, 08:32:43 PM
I tried the grand slam as well and felt it was very bulky and didn't hold near as much as my Cabela's vest. Ended up sending the alps back.

How's the fit on your Cabelas vest? I'm worried about it being too big for people with smaller frames

aeasley10

I bought and sent back the alps.  It did feel nice as far as fabric and construction and lots of pockets, (too many for me) but felt way too big and bulky for me (6,2 ~ 200) and the zippers felt pretty cheap.

I have now bought the Mossy oak longbeard elite and Ol Tom Easy rider to compare and tried on the cabelas tactical today and actually liked it too. 

All 3 of these are more comfortable & lighter weight than the alps IMO. 
*Cabelas had the most comfortable seat and *Ol Tom feels the lightest as far as weight and bulk.  Quality of materials/construction zippers etc, would go to the Easy rider. 
*Longbeard elite has the most storage of the 3. 

Hope that helps ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk