turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with purring with a box call.

Started by Danger DAve, May 02, 2011, 11:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Hello to all: I  just received my field Grade SS box call, which is beautiful and makes beautiful yelps .  A generous poster offered to give me tips on purring with it, but I can't find the post in which he did so.  If anyone can set me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Not in anyway a knock on the call.  Actually I'm a little bit skeptical that a good purr can come from a box.  But if anyone would prove me wrong I would be in their debt.  I get close sometimes.  But not so much.

Thanks.

culpeper

You'll ahev to trust me, but purring on a well made box call, of which is what you have from the SS boys, can be some of the best purrs produced.  It will also depend on the type of wood the call is built from, some wood combos will purr better than others.

scoot12

I was told to hold lid tip in your palm of your right hand if you are right handed and slowly drag lid across box.  It seems to work pretty well.  Scott

Danger DAve

Mine has a Limba body and Cherry lid.  I will experiment further tonight.  I occasionaly can get a purr-like sound, but also some very un-turkey like sounds are apt to arise.

culpeper

I will tell you that it takes a subtle movement with wrist and fingers, there should be no 'arm' movement when purring with a box call.  There are variations on how to do it, but it takes practice like anything else with running turkey calls of all types.  The range of the movement is also very slight back and forth, maybe covering no more than 1/2"-3/4" as you draw/drag the lid across the rail. Keep at it, you'll get it.  Your 'concern' tells me you will cause you want to.

Danger DAve

Thanks for all the tips.  I am willing to work at it.  Just a guess:  But I'm thinking there is probably a sweet spot just like on a pot call.

Danger DAve

OK.  Here is what is working best for me so far.  I'm using my left thumb to act as sort of  a  stop to provide resistance and lift ever so slightly.  I am moving the paddle with a very light touch with my palm.  Sounds great sometimes, but I am not very consistent yet.

Sound OK?  Any more tips.

Danger DAve

OK.  I know no one is keeping up with this, but here is what works best so far.  For me holding the paddle in my palm where the base of my thumb meets the base of the meat below my pinky sounds the best so far.  Really good sometimes.  And it takes away the variable of my left hand.  I'm working on getting the usual cluck after the purr.  But baby steps I guess.

When I get too frustrated I pull out the pot call.  Thanks to everybody who has read contributed.  I like this call more and more and highly recommend it.  Maybe Al will give me a discount for promoting it, but I think he has a well-deserved good reputation here.

Danger DAve

Now it's complicated.  I like the sound from the left side better I think., but it's hard to pull off.  This is one of those things that both sucks and is great at the same time.  I guess I need to be amphibious and be able to use both hands equally well.   I have a year until next turkey season though.

trb136

Dave, You are moving in the right direction...It has alot to do with touch...pressure but some of the sweetest purrs can come from a boxcall...What I do is hold the box in my left  and hold the paddle with my first and second finger...my thumb will rest on the end block of the call to help control the pressure and consistency   very little pressure   when you find the spot you should be able to purr and cluck at the end....Now being that I build Box calls i do this daily   So...Easy for me to say Right?   but you will get the feel and be very surprised.... Just my opinion....Good Luck

Tim

drenalinld

Dave, i  use the palm against one side and the off hand thumb to hold resistance as you describe. Keep working on it. The box can give the most realistic purrs in my opinion. Also using the thumb for a little resistance you can lightly tap the lid with your fingers and get nice cackles.

Danger DAve

Thanks for all the great advise.  I love this call.

Danger DAve

TRB?  I think you're method is working out best for me.  But I think trying all the crazy ways on my own made me realize it.  I'm getting the same subtle wrist action as when I was holding in the left and subtly moving with my wrist.  Sort of rolling the paddle upward.  But this is easier and sound better.
Nut I'm still practicing the original way I figure out , because variety is the spice of life.  I still don't think it sounds as good as my purrs on my pots, but it does sound good.  And I will continue to work at it.

Thanks to you and everyone else who gave me advise.  I've always thought there was just something cool and pure about the box and now that I can purr on it, at least decently I am so happy I think  I I might seek a wife.

I have yet to kill a turkey.  But it' ok.  I've killed plenty of deer.  And my time will come.  Thanks to all who gave tips.  And thanks to Al at SS call,  It is a beaiutiful , sublte, and responsive call.

drenalinld

When you do kill that first turkey that you called in it can only be topped by calling in someone else's 1st turkey. Good luck.

drum817

Hey Dave... it was me who made the offer.  If you will shoot me a pm I will send you my number and see if we can't get you going...  I've been away from the site killing turkeys.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"