OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finding the right mouth call

Started by kdsberman, February 02, 2016, 02:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

I was just wondering if anyone had to do a good amount of trialing on different mouth calls to find "the one" that they could finally call themselves good at mouth calling.  I've turkey hunted for a lot of years and feel I can hunt them right with the best of them.  But the one thing I feel I could improve on is my mouth calling.  I just cant seem to do it like the guys on TV for example.  I can do it plenty good enough to call the birds in (which is all that matters in the end), but would still like to be able to do the kee-kee and purr and have better control overall.  I've gone through all the brands like HS Strut and Primos, then to the custom calls like Woodhaven and Hooks.  I've found the custom are SOOO much better sounding.  Just ordered a Goosterbat "Bacon" this morning. 

Has anyone even been in this situation but finally found that one call that they found themselves sounding "good"?  Or can you guys pretty much throw any diaphragm in your mouth and go to town?

Thanks!

dirt road ninja

I'm not a good caller but can get by - I only have custom diaphragms in my vest, minus 2 HS calls that I carry for luck. Cuts make a difference on what I can kee kee and "do it" calls, but brand doesn't make a difference as long as it is a brand I like. My favorite all around cut is a batwing, but I can't kee kee very well with them, regardless of brand. A ghost reed cut lets me kee kee, again regards of brand. Purring, I do on any cut, but it will depend where in my mouth I will have to place the call. I went through a pile of calls that I didn't like or that were just ok, what works for me probably won't for you. It's a trail and error process to find the brand and cuts you like, then for me it took a lot of practice to get it huntable. I'm working on gobbling with a mouth call and have it passable.

wmn2

I'm new to this. About as green as you can get. With that being said, I have a small palate and it's been impossible to find a call that fits even remotely well. I finally found the primos mini sonic dome and I've gotten pretty good with it. I want to try more of the youth/ small palate models, but it took me about 6 different calls before I found this one and it was like night and day. Yelps right away instead of squeaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I think that just starting out it is more important to get the "right" call for you. As you practice more you will be able to run a variety of calls. There will always be calls and different Cutts that you will be more comfortable running but you will definitely be able to expand your options with time. I am by no means a competitive caller but after running diagrams for 20 years I can generally figure out a call in pretty short order. At least enough to hunt with. Still have my preferences tho. I think just about everyone does.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Meadow Valley Man

I also have a narrow palate and end up bending the frame to fit.  That won't work with the H.S. calls that are plastic. The best calls I have ever used are made by Jeff Fredrick.  Check out Champions Choice calls.  They are not cheap, but they are very good. Many Wisconsin competition callers use them.  Jeff was a 12 time winner using his calls.

Jbird22

Quote from: wmn2 on February 02, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
I'm new to this. About as green as you can get. With that being said, I have a small palate and it's been impossible to find a call that fits even remotely well. I finally found the primos mini sonic dome and I've gotten pretty good with it. I want to try more of the youth/ small palate models, but it took me about 6 different calls before I found this one and it was like night and day. Yelps right away instead of squeaks.
Go to Hookscalls.com, click contact, send Scott an email and the rest will be history! I HIGHLY recommend his Executioner II in a small frame!

kdsberman

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 02, 2016, 07:39:32 PM
Quote from: wmn2 on February 02, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
Go to Hookscalls.com, click contact, send Scott an email and the rest will be history! I HIGHLY recommend his Executioner II in a small frame!

This.

The Executioner 2 is my favorite call. 

bbcoach

Scott Hooks makes some of the best small palate calls available.  Here is his website http://hookscalls.com/  Give him a call and tell him what you are experiencing and I'm sure he can help you.  Good Luck.

MK M GOBL

Been using mouth calls since I started turkey hunting, took me a few years before I was thinking I was really passable. I put a lot of effort in to learning them, but anymore I run them like it's my second language, a few of my friends would tell they think I talk turkey first :) Patients and practice, and if you can handle some "truth" from your friends, lol.(I had some good teachers, that's another story) but I used a video camera as my judge and listened to all of my calling to see from what I heard birds doing to how I sounded and critiqued myself from there. Believe me these guys/gals who call for judges are way better than any turkey in the woods and I think a few "mistakes" sound like the real thing, like it is when you think someone else is out there and it's the worst calling you've heard and yup a hen walks out. Fit, reeds and cuts make a difference but just cause it works for someone else doesn't mean its the same for you. We all have a different palate and mouth shape etc.. Learning cadence and rhythm will do everything for you in the timber! I use my diaphragm for turkey & coyotes, can bugle and cow call too and yup can Gobble with it!

MK M GOBL

perrytrails

You won't go wrong with a hooks mouth call. They are easy to run compared to a lot of production mouth calls. Consistent.

It's a musical instrument, once you've learned how to use one you can get a good sound from most.

Being able to hit the high notes, clear yelps and right into rasp takes time.

Stick with it. Try a Hooks seducer. Easier to run and do the soft stuff.

Then try the executioner and executioner 2. Great calls.

Bowguy

I agree w Hooks, there's others too but they're easy to run and a great start.
If you're expecting to do it all with one call I think you're mistaken. Kee kees require a different call than say a great cutting call, least for me.
Mouth calls are a definate learned/earned skill. Takes lots of practice but I believe everyone can do it.

perrytrails

Your right Bowguy, a lot of custom makers here would take the time to help you get the right call.

And it is learned/earned.

jepcho

I can run most calls out there fairly effectively, and I've been running mouth calls for about 17 years now. However it wasn't until last year that I tried a hooks diaphragm call and I will never go into the woods without one now. There are a lot of good calls out there but for my mouth and the way I call, hooks are number 1. Wish I would've went away from mass produced calls way before I actually did.

Sadler McGraw

Mouth calls are a never ending battle for a hunter to find good calls year in and year out.  The main reason is materials.  Latex changes from year to year when the suppliers order. Tape is the same way. there are years where the tape is garbage and will fall off the frame inside of 30 minutes, others you cant pull it off with vise grips.

Sometimes it is finding the right cut that fits your style of calling.  In 1997 I bought two 2.5 reed ghost cut calls from Barry Springfield in GA, those two little calls took me from an average caller to a World Class caller.  That was the cut and reed configuration that worked for me for yelping, purrs and kees.  I sound like total garbage on most other cuts. 

So try to figure out what cut and reed configuration fits you the best.  When you get that kind of in the ball park, you can swap call makers to see if their call is a little better fit than another guys call. 

Then there is the fact that there is some total garbage of mouth calls being made!

There are people on the internet that will buy a press, call me for help on making calls, and I usually spoon feed them anything they want to know. then two months later they are selling $4 mouth calls and people are raving about them.  Sorry for that little rant.

Just to name a few that if I couldn't build myself a call that I would call,  Lyle Gilbert Houndstooth, Steve Kinder XT Calls, Scott Hook

Sadler McGraw
Champions Choice Game Calls
Camden, AL

Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

Houndstooth Game Calls

Likewise Sadler yor a great caller and builder as well! I am through spoon feeding folks, always ends up biting you in the tail! I deal with the customer and that's it that's the only person that matters at the end of the day! You should be able to get anything or any build from the guys he listed just give them a call when your having trouble with a call they just might turn it around for ya!