OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the most $$$ you've spent on a turkey call?

Started by lotsaleadindahead, March 24, 2011, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

I hate to jump into this fracas but the Cody World Champion call I've got isn't a "turned" call. At least I don't think it is. From the Cody website:

Bill created the methods and designed the machines that would create the only true laminated wood pot calls in the industry. He perfected this two-month, twenty-five step process over the years, until it has become a science. The World Class and SPEC I pots have grains of wood running circular around the call.
http://www.codyturkeycalls.com/history.htm

The reason it's hard to find his top line of calls is because he does not wholesale them. They're built on order and you can only buy them from Cody.

jb177

Custom woodhaven crystal call would be my Most expensive call, but got it as a fathers day gift.  I has my little girls pic in it, but I still use it.  Nice engraving on the back too.  Sounds good.  Just paid $50 for a custom arkansas box call, nice work for the money.  That being said, I still like my old MAD super crystal...just sounds good for a non-custom call IMHO.

lotsaleadindahead

A guy I work with paid $250 for a Cody pot call, signed and numbered.

ElkTurkMan

gobbler336

$125 for the woodhaven vision crystal, it has a lot of life in the call but i don't think it is worth 125.  but really how do you measure what a call is worth?  i mean what is a longbeard worth to ya, think of all the gas, license, ammo, money on a gun, but without a good call what good is all that other stuff.  you need to have confidence in your calls period, to me they are more important than your gun, but i hunt birds by calling them in, to each his own.

Kickin Spur

75 for a cody.  Wont ever go that high again unless I ever get into collecting them.

mudhen

$163 for an Albert Paul walnut box call.

And I'll do it again next year...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

barry

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 24, 2011, 11:15:13 PM
150.00 box call. BTW I paid 75.00 for my Neil Cost box call back in the early 90's. It's worth a little more than that now.

TRKYHTR

Joe, I'll double your money on that Cost call if you like. :)
Oh, I paid $140 for a custom box auctioned off at a local NWTF banquet

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 01:38:26 PM
Bill created the methods and designed the machines that would create the only true laminated wood pot calls in the industry.

Uh, oh... I guess that means all of the rest of the laminated calls on the market are false laminates.   ???   That leaves me scratching my head.  I guess I'm going to have to figure out a different word besides "laminate" to use when I make a call out of multiple woods. 
I'm not even going to get into the issue of prices of calls.  That works on a supply and demand basis.  If someone is willing to pay the price, there will be another willing to sell it at that price.  I get irked by those who would make such broad sweeping statements as the one above.  It reminds me of another callmaker (not on this forum) who once commented that any call without a center soundhole was not a custom call.  Maybe it would be as simple as qualifying their choice of terms.  I'm not buying either of these statements.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

chipper

$140 for a Supreme Pinnicle Pure Death is the most I've ever spent, My wife bought me a Supreme Call Girl with the hand painted sound board for Christmas that probably cost more but the best deal I ever got on a call was a Wendal Rye lacewood box and walnut lid call that was nasty raspy for 35 or 40 dollars, I don't remember, about 8 or 10 years ago and I loved that call . That was a meat hunter box, that would makem Gobble when nothing else would.

BIGBOB

$150 for a Marlin watkins box call. Best money i ever spent on a turkey call.