Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the most $$$ you've spent on a turkey call?

Started by lotsaleadindahead, March 24, 2011, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonjour

Sorry, but I do know what I am talking about on this one, as I have been turning custom calls for a good number of years. Cody calls are handturned just like any other custom call. This means that they are not made to the exact tolerances from one call to the next. They might be off by thousandths, or even hundredths from one call to the next. To be able to turn to exact tolerances is humanly impossible and having so many variables affecting sound in a turkey call, they are no better than what most of us call makers on here can make. There are no magical components put into these calls that none of us average call makers can put in ours. I have friends that ran cody calls for quite a while, and now have turned mostly to my calls because they like the sound better. I have ran cody calls with a number of different strikers and can not tell much of difference between them and some of the other calls that I have ran them on. Sorry if I pushed a button on my response, but I think it is rediculous for a person to charge 200 for a pot call, and even crazier that someone buys them. I myself, can't justify charging even half that for one of my calls, I would rather build a good looking, and great sounding call that is affordable for every hunter out there. Oh, and by the way, there isn't a sarcasm key on a keyboard, so when you type something to be sarcastic, it doesn't read that way.

Snoody Bastid

I paid $60.00 for a box call (from a brand many people say are one of the best mass-produced calls to buy). I subsequently returned it. I personally didn't think it was all that it was cracked up to be.
I'm currently waiting on my new S&S butternut/walnut box to arrive.

doepee

118.00 for a albert Paul box , and soon i want to order a supreme pure death pinnacle 140.00

big j

I for one would like to see a picture of that $200 Cody call please.

Gobblerstopper

What goes into that $200 (I didn't think they were that much) is not some highly guarded secret.  Bill told me at Nationals several years ago how he makes them.  It was interesting at first, but after hearing it compared to the other 1000 calls being ran out there and figured in the price, I lost interest about half way through the conversation.

Since it seems that you believe a callmaker has to have a call they charge $200 for or they don't know what they are doing, does that mean since I sold one for $416 I know more than Bill.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Price of a call is based on a lot of things.  There are more than several callmakers who use price to dictate the demand for their calls and control the amount of time they want to spend in the shop.  It doesn't always make their calls sound better than others.

archery1

yes and cody made calls before woodhaven.. a employee or owner ??? (not putting names out )  has showed me that woodhaven has duplicated one of there calls/..years ago... why they would do this is  not right. but i guess supply an demand was enough to steal an idea
Take a kid hunting

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: archery1 on March 26, 2011, 06:34:34 PM
yes and cody made calls before woodhaven.. a employee or owner ??? (not putting names out )  has showed me that woodhaven has duplicated one of there calls/..years ago... why they would do this is  not right. but i guess supply an demand was enough to steal an idea

That's what I heard as well.  Undercutting one mans accomplishments through theft is pretty low.  Immitation through theft, how flattering huh?

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: neal on March 26, 2011, 10:01:53 PM
$400  Don Bald call

What type of call is it?   He makes so many unique calls.

doepee

Does Don make pot calls, couldnt find any on web site

trb136

$200.00 For Mike Lapp Box and $200.00 for my own dang call...Had to buy it back... :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

neal

Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on March 26, 2011, 10:53:50 PM
Quote from: neal on March 26, 2011, 10:01:53 PM
$400  Don Bald call

What type of call is it?   He makes so many unique calls.

Tube call. I've handled some high dollar calls but my pocket book can't swing them!   :TooFunny:

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

neal

Quote from: trb136 on March 26, 2011, 11:05:35 PM
$200.00 For Mike Lapp Box and $200.00 for my own dang call...Had to buy it back... :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
:TooFunny:   I've seen that a few times!

3chunter

100 bucks for a gary anderson pot.

150 for a box