turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

favorite mouth call?

Started by WNCTracker, February 17, 2015, 08:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

What's your favorite mouth call?  I've used several but seem to come back to the basic double diaphragm calls like the old raspy hen.  I'd like to try some others but don't want to keep wasting money.  Please don't tell me that "it's the call that works best for me."

wvlimbhanger

My 3 favorites are:
Woodhaven copperhead
Gooserbat hillbilly
Gooserbat bacon

I use whatever I take a notion to, wouldn't rank one ahead of the other.

Jbird22

drum817

Check out Hooks!!!  I like the swindler & the new game changer series.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Houndstooth Game Calls

If you won't to stay at a two reed with a sound that doesn't sound like a double try our tom bomb 2 reed.. Bet you will be happy..

Swampchickin234

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 17, 2015, 09:17:49 PM
Hooks Executioner II
x2. I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

My experience with all levels of callers and their general calling abilities is that a double or triple reed call made with .003 latex or a combination of latex and proph (.0025), and with some form of V-cut or modified V-cut, will usually work best for the majority of them.

Users often have trouble with heavier latex combinations and more "non-traditional" reed cuts such as the bat-cut and ghost-cut calls. 

Also, depending on how you "blow" a call, having the cuts in the sound reed in certain locations (center, off-set right, or left) may make a big difference on how well you call.  My advice is to look at each call you are considering buying, regardless of manufacturer, and make your choices based on cut style and latex thickness to start with.  If you have some idea of "what works best for you", then you do have a starting point on making your choices.

Finally, buying a call because it has a high price-tag is generally a useless way to determine the sound quality of a call,...and your potential ability to use it.

Adamj1218

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
My experience with all levels of callers and their general calling abilities is that a double or triple reed call made with .003 latex or a combination of latex and proph (.0025), and with some form of V-cut or modified V-cut, will usually work best for the majority of them.

Users often have trouble with heavier latex combinations and more "non-traditional" reed cuts such as the bat-cut and ghost-cut calls. 

Also, depending on how you "blow" a call, having the cuts in the sound reed in certain locations (center, off-set right, or left) may make a big difference on how well you call.  My advice is to look at each call you are considering buying, regardless of manufacturer, and make your choices based on cut style and latex thickness to start with.  If you have some idea of "what works best for you", then you do have a starting point on making your choices.

Finally, buying a call because it has a high price-tag is generally a useless way to determine the sound quality of a call,...and your potential ability to use it.

Good info!

Adamj1218

Houndstooth
Hooks

Both of these are good call makers and reasonably priced. 

WNCTracker

Thanks. I'm a novice with mouth calls but feel like them best bo used a slate all my life and recently made the switch. What is better about having a notch vs just straight cuts?

mspaci

QB pro triple & a Butzki Cuttin caller 4, thats what I learned on & cant get away from them. Mike

grayfox

HS Raspy Old Hen.  Probably should try a lot of others but this usually will close the deal.

GobbleNut

Quote from: johnplesh on February 18, 2015, 10:50:33 AM
Thanks. I'm a novice with mouth calls but feel like them best bo used a slate all my life and recently made the switch. What is better about having a notch vs just straight cuts?

Not sure what you mean by "notch vs straight cuts".  I think you are asking about the difference between calls that have cuts made in the latex reeds and those that do not.  In terms of sound production, uncut-reed calls generally produce more clear, less raspy, tones than cut-reed calls.  Uncut-reed calls have largely gone "out of style" for most hunters simply because cut-reed calls produce more realistic turkey sounds, as a whole, than do uncut-reed calls.

If you are asking about different reed cuts, there are many different types that have been developed through experimentation by mouth call makers,...as I am sure you are aware if you have looked at mouth calls in catalogs.  A really good experienced mouth call user can make turkey noises on just about all of them, but for the average caller, there are some designs that consistently are easier to use than others.  I listed some of those previously.

The fact is though, that a beginning mouth call user has to go through a learning process to determine what call design is the best for themselves.  Trial and error is just a fact of life for those wanting to learn to use mouth calls.

WNCTracker

GobbleNut- thanks for your detailed replies.