No Bull
1 (2.2%)
Prairie Game Calls
1 (2.2%)
Other -Sure I'm missing some great ones
11 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

TauntoHawk

Over the past couple of years I've bought and sold lots of pot calls and dozens of mouth calls, that's allowed me to amass my "Go To" calls that fill my vest. I really haven't delved into many box calls yet mostly because the cost.  I have two boxes now a Cane Creek box and a purpleheart over cedar a local call maker made for me when he was first starting out. Both very functional calls but just don't have that pure turkey talk that makes me want them to be the first out of the vest in the morning.

So I'm looking for that one short box that will ride with me through the whole season in the vest.

I appreciate a great looking box but sound is what I'm shopping for. Have been looking at the following. How do I decide I can't buy them all, so many call makers and then the wood combinations are even more endless. Long waiting list might deter me, as I'd like to the call inside of a few weeks.

Appreciate the input
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TRKYHTR

Having only 2 options is not fair with this poll. Lol

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Shellwaster

There is/was a Holloran box in the classifieds. I don't have any experience with his box but if they are like his pots then its definitely vest worthy. One other guy you may want to consider is Bob Harwell. I have one of his boxes and cannot seem to take it out of my vest and I've got several good sounding boxes but Bob's box makes the most consistent sound with little to no effort.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 10, 2013, 03:58:55 PM

TRKYHTR

Joe it doesn't do me any good if you vote for all of them.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 10, 2013, 05:49:22 PM
There is/was a Holloran box in the classifieds. I don't have any experience with his box but if they are like his pots then its definitely vest worthy. One other guy you may want to consider is Bob Harwell. I have one of his boxes and cannot seem to take it out of my vest and I've got several good sounding boxes but Bob's box makes the most consistent sound with little to no effort.

Do you know what bob asks for a short box? I don't think he has a website but I have heard of his calls as being some real talkers!

Shellwaster

[/quote]
Do you know what bob asks for a short box? I don't think he has a website but I have heard of his calls as being some real talkers!
[/quote]

I think I paid between 100-125 for mine. Bob doesn't have a website but his number is 803-735-1289. I'm strongly considering calling him and placing another order.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 10, 2013, 07:31:37 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 10, 2013, 03:58:55 PM

TRKYHTR

Joe it doesn't do me any good if you vote for all of them.
I would have voted for 3. I also think Marlin Watkins should be on that list and even Jerry "Dad" White.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Andy S.

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 10, 2013, 05:49:22 PMOne other guy you may want to consider is Bob Harwell.
I'll second that. Bob makes a magnificent box and to top it off he is a top notch gentleman who you will enjoy talking to. Get you a Harwell box, you will not regret it.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

C_W

Pat Strawser, Albert Paul, and Jerry Zebro would be the three I'd look at.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Longbeardfever4ever on March 10, 2013, 09:11:03 PM
Missing Zebro!

would have been on the list but I believe he has taken a break from call building I believe.

hunter22

I assume your "Others" would include callmakers such as Darrin Dawkins, Steve Mann, Lamar Williams, Scott Basehore, Marlin Watkins, Mike Lapp, Ed Terefencko, Irving Whitt, and Noel Gonzales. Sure hard for me to not vote "Other" when you look at this list.   

TauntoHawk

My list mainly came from makers that have websites that I can readily see pictures and prices or found sound files of previous works. I also might have left a few notables off the list even though I know they make complete works of art they also have substantial waits or higher prices than I want for a call that is going to ride in my vest all season.

I think that around $100 should get me a good field box, again checkering and beautiful inlays aren't a part of my decision here I'm shopping for function only. I'm intrigued by SS Customs prices on their "field grade" boxes.

tripleCBoykins

You will not be disappointed with an SS call. Al and Josh make sweet calls.

hunter22

The SS boys make a fine call at a very good price.