OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for some honest feedback...

Started by DeWayne Knight, May 31, 2012, 02:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWayne Knight

I bought a lathe back in March, and with everything going on and then throwing turkey season into the mix I just got around to starting to play with it a week or so ago.  I turned a few crow calls to get the feel of the tools, and decided to jump in the deep end of the pool and try a pot call.  Here is is, go easy on me fellas...

Big Leaf Maple from California.  3.25" slate over glass.

lightsoutcalls

Visually - That looks GREAT!

How does it sound?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

dirt road ninja

It's awful. Send it straight to me to properly dispose of.

:z-winnersmiley:

vaturkey

Dude

That pot call looks great to be your first one ! Good Job ! Hope it sounds good also !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Spring Creek Calls

That looks great DeWayne! Hope to see some in the classies.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

DeWayne Knight

Thanks everyone.  When I bought the lathe I thought I was gonna make duck & goose calls primarily...lol.  But I am so into turkey hunting and everything, along with just coming out of the season, I figured it would be a good way to keep my finger in it year round.  I promised myself I wouldn't put the first call I built on the Internet and ask for opinions, but I was really pleased with how this one turned out looks-wise as well as sound-wise.  I'm already thinking of some things about the look I want to experiment and play with on the next one.  Thanks again for the positive feedback.

BrowningGuy88

It is absolutely gorgeous. I would have never thought it your first if you hadn't said so!

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

pappy

DeWayne If that is your first attempt at turning a pot call I need yu to come to my shop and show me some of your tricks....lol.....that is nice and clean work. I think that being simple and clean is the best for any call, absolutely an awesome job, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

smurf

I'm jealous.  My first couple of calls weren't near that good.  Looks good.  Good start for sure.   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

cleanslate

Quote from: smurf on May 31, 2012, 07:06:19 PM
I'm jealous.  My first couple of calls weren't near that good.  Looks good.  Good start for sure.   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

^X2

misfire

DeWayne,
I wish my first thrity pots had looked that good. And darned if you havent learned your way around a lathe pretty quick too
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

DeWayne Knight

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, folks.  The friendly way Old Gobbler members treat people is one of my favorite things about this place.

With respect to the call, I would be remiss if I let people think I wasn't familiar with woodworking.  I was a carpentry contractor and finish carpenter for many years, doing a lot of cabinet building and other custom woodworking.  In fact, on my "to do list" is a call display case.  So working with wood is something I enjoy and have a lot of experience with.  Attention to detail and finishing wood to look smooth is second nature to me.  Working with a lathe is new to me, but I've done a lot of research, spent hours and hours reading "how to" threads on callmaking forums, and invested the money in a decent lathe and assorted paraphernalia like chucks, collets, mandrels, etc. that go along with this.  Spending the money to acquire the proper tools and equipment definitely helps!  Thank goodness my wife and I have separate checking accounts... ;D