OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who makes the best gobbler shaker for locating?

Started by brkncly, April 24, 2012, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brkncly

Looking at buying a gobbler shaker for locating toms, who makes he best one and how well do they work for locating toms?  Looking at the Primos "The Gobbler Shaker Call", HS Strut "Twister Gobble Call" and the Quaker Boy "Thunderbird  Gobble Call". Any input or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

rdmar

I have a primos gobbler shaker its ok I would rather have a tube call and learn how to gobble on it or maybe try the flextone one

WillowRidgeCalls

When I used to use one I liked the Quaker Boy with the 3 ring bellows, the 2 ring didn't have the volume.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

WildTigerTrout

I have a Primos and a older model Quakerboy. Of the two I like the Quakerboy.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

never heard anyone use a shaker and get very close to a good gobble out of it, I know I sure never could.

the new reeded style are pretty good if you can learn touse one. i have the hale fire and can gobble on it pretty good but can do a better one a mouth call so I stick to that.

Came in very handy this past weekend and gobbled 2 strutters and a jake in that were walking the other way to hen calls.

the only shaker i ever owned was the primos
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Turkey Trot

I have a Red Wolfe and a friend has the Primos.  He cannot get a good sound out of his because he has not practiced the right technique, but I can get a good sound out of any of the shakers.  It is a matter of holding it up and bringing it down and behind you while shaking it, and closing your hand around it gradually to taper the sound.  When you can do those gestures in a fluid motion, you can get a sound that is god enough to get a gobbler to respond.

I was with a crazy guy I know working a place late in the season and in the afternoon.  He used the Red Wolfe shaker as a locator, and then worked that turkey in with it.  Called him in with nothing but the shaker.  Sometimes they seem more preoccupied with what other gobblers are doing.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

tha bugman

leave the shaker at the house and get a haint....much more compact and more realistic...

Waddle Whacker

Quote from: tha bugman on April 24, 2012, 06:38:40 PM
leave the shaker at the house and get a haint....much more compact and more realistic...
X2....Or get yourself a Morgan call and learn how to gobble with it. I've used the Morgan for about 15 years, it's my go to. You can produce some pretty realistic gobbles with it. Plus you get the added bonus of having a tube that sounds different, and better in my opinion, than any tube out there. 99% of the gobblers I've killed have heard the Morgan. I rarely gobble with it, but did call up 2 different stubborn "field turkeys" this year for friends by gobbling. Gobbling is definitely a good trick to have in your bag at times. Any tube will gobble, and basically sound the same, but there's only one that yelps like a Morgan. It takes some time to master, but it's well worth it.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dvdegeorge

I've had them all quakerboy gets the nod....as stated if you shake them properly and use your hand you can get realistic gobbles from the shaker calls.I have killed quite a few toms with the gobble shaker and a couple strictly with that alone and no other calling

flatliner

I have to agree get a tube learn to gobble on it and you have some useful for more than gobbling. There isnt a turkey sound you cant make on a tube. OH EXCEPT THE SQUELING HEN SOUND. If thats what your looking for just get a rabbit squealer and call in the predators  :funnyturkey:

tha bugman

A box call sounds the most realistic to me...

Turkey Call Maker

One thing about using a gobble type call, that is what a turkey hunter keys on...   If you do use one, make sure your back is to a wide tree (Safety first)!! :o
Jim

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: Turkey Call Maker on April 26, 2012, 10:28:31 AMOne thing about using a gobble type call, that is what a turkey hunter keys on...   If you do use one, make sure your back is to a wide tree (Safety first)!! :o

On this....  I was buying a QB shaker a few years back and a guy walks up to me like I was a little kid and sneers "better make sure you are on private land if you are going to use that".  I looked up at him from where I was kneeling and replied "better learn to identify your shot before you pull a trigger".  He had sound advice just as your is, I think it was his tone.  You just sparked that memory.

NCBigShot

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on April 24, 2012, 04:58:12 PM
When I used to use one I liked the Quaker Boy with the 3 ring bellows, the 2 ring didn't have the volume.

...I agree Scott... Also like the Red Wolfe call..  :icon_thumright:
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...