OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling in a coyote

Started by High plains drifter, April 06, 2018, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

:z-winnersmiley:
Quote from: High plains drifter on April 06, 2018, 11:57:47 AM
Quote from: Lonehowl on April 06, 2018, 10:52:02 AM
You shoot them...and you shoot them in the face, with a shotgun. They are not "big game", they are varmints.
Mark
I'm not going to shoot anything in the face.I shoot turkey in the neck.
Buddy you're still getting some residual pellets in the face at least some of the time. Kinda the reason you aim for the wattles, so your pattern covers whole area. Anytime we shoot a shotgun at small game some are hit in the face.  Pattern your gun and aim for the neck on a target, you'll see face shots. You can't avoid it

High plains drifter

I have shot a few when I was younger,  but NIW can't do it.

Rufus

I shoot every coyote that I can.  We (my family and friends) have lost too many deer, turkey, cows, cats, etc to those things.  The only good coyote is a dead coyote.

Chris O

I will shoot everyone I can get an opportunity at.

Lonehowl

Lots of us hunt coyotes year round. Bobcats and fox  whenever in season. My goal, and I live out west, used to be 100 coyotes a "season"...roughly Sept 1 to March 1.., which was my self imposed season. Reached that goal many times. Coyotes are not turkeys, they are tough, and if you are shooting them with a shotgun...trust me...shoot them I'm the face/head. That's the best and fastest way to kill them clean. Ain't gonna be perfect every time but that's what you should concentrate on.
Take it for what it's worth to ya.
Mark

NJGobblerHunter

renegade19

Had a LARGE male coyote walk up on me in some pretty dense woods.  Bang.  Watched a female coyote try to figure out and stalk my decoys all at the same time in a field once.  Finally, she got close enough.  Bang.  Female put on a very interesting show and entertained me for quite a while.  Appreciated her efforts but it didn't matter in the end. 

roverboy

I would shoot everyone of them too. I've never personally called one in while turkey hunting.
Listen for the gobble

High plains drifter

Quote from: Lonehowl on April 07, 2018, 12:36:42 AM
Lots of us hunt coyotes year round. Bobcats and fox  whenever in season. My goal, and I live out west, used to be 100 coyotes a "season"...roughly Sept 1 to March 1.., which was my self imposed season. Reached that goal many times. Coyotes are not turkeys, they are tough, and if you are shooting them with a shotgun...trust me...shoot them I'm the face/head. That's the best and fastest way to kill them clean. Ain't gonna be perfect every time but that's what you should concentrate on.
Take it for what it's worth to ya.
Mark.  Im not going to shoot anything with 4 legs.Not my thing.

briton

I sat down this morning to call and right before I put the striker to the glass I heard something closing in fast from my right side. It tops the hill at a full sprint dead at the tree I'm on, two coyotes, in shock I try to get my gun up and cocked , single shot, by that time they are maybe ten feet away and I shot without even looking down the barrel kinda in self defense  and missed, they kept sprinting. For a second I was wondering if they were after me lol, they came from the direction I walked in from  less than thirty seconds of sitting down. It was all over in four or five seconds from hearing them coming to shooting, they were running wide open for some reason.

WNCTracker

Sort of s sidebar but I shot a coyote in last falls deer season in December. The coyote laid in the field dead untouched for at least a month. No buzzards, no scavengers, nothing... I've worn ndered why since..any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caspar

ive never called in a coyote while turkey hunting. i keep hoping that i do cuz i really want to shoot one

1iagobblergetter

I called one in today on my kids youth season and told him to shoot it,but he said he didn't want to scare the Turkey's all away. It was gone before I could convince him.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 10:30:20 PM
Sort of s sidebar but I shot a coyote in last falls deer season in December. The coyote laid in the field dead untouched for at least a month. No buzzards, no scavengers, nothing... I've worn ndered why since..any ideas?

Every critter in the woods have learned to avoid coyotes even buzzards. Threy are not taking chances that ol Wiley Coyote is just playing dead.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Bowguy

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 07, 2018, 11:43:42 PM
Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 10:30:20 PM

Every critter in the woods have learned to avoid coyotes even buzzards. Threy are not taking chances that ol Wiley Coyote is just playing dead.
Or maybe sleeping was a consideration also