OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hornady Heavy Turkey loads

Started by Daveb, February 25, 2018, 09:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

As most others have said, don't get them. I bought a box once to see how they patterned. Shot two of them at paper. Only reason I fired the second one was that I thought surely they weren't as terrible as the first shot indicated...they in fact were that terrible. I've never patterned any other shells that performed as bad as them.

Daveb

Yep. Should have asked here first. You guys are spot on.
Tested the Hornady Hvy Trky 3" in #4's and 6"s today. Pattern was horrible. Something like 30 in 10 inch.
Also tried the Winchester LB.
3" #4's 107 at 40 yards
3.5" #5's 126 at 40yrds

Tried to post pics but can't upload Jpegs.

Thinking I might try a different choke.

ARjtk

I've seen the loads on the shell and I can't believe I've never bought any. Sounds like I would have been wasting my money

Daveb

Quote from: ARjtk on February 28, 2018, 07:02:15 AM
I've seen the loads on the shell and I can't believe I've never bought any. Sounds like I would have been wasting my money
I'll sell you some real cheap!

Actually they don't pattern as badly at 20 yrds, Im trying to think of what I can use em for... maybe jack rabbits?

Texforce

If I remember correctly, I think it specifically states on the HORNADY box to shoot their Turkey shells through either Modified or Improved Cylinder chokes----for best results. Maybe that might have something to do w/their poor patterning, if most are shooting them through Fulls and Extra Fulls. Just a thought??

surehuntsalot

All I would use them for is tree rats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Double B

Longbeards are an excellent shell. You will be amazed with a tighter choke. I like 6's.
Followed by buzzards

Daveb

Quote from: Texforce on March 01, 2018, 12:56:44 PM
If I remember correctly, I think it specifically states on the HORNADY box to shoot their Turkey shells through either Modified or Improved Cylinder chokes----for best results. Maybe that might have something to do w/their poor patterning, if most are shooting them through Fulls and Extra Fulls. Just a thought??
They also patterned poorly through the IM and M chokes at 40 yards.

Kylongspur88

I bought some in BB and 4 buck for coyotes a year or two ago. I couldn't get them to do anything in any choke. The 4 buck might make a decent home defense round.

owlhoot

May as well use a cylinder choke because that's the pattern density your gonna get with any choke
Ship them and buy the herters turkey loads but maybe the same thing