OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2012 WI Season Start

Started by longbeard95, April 11, 2012, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard95

Well we today was the opening day of the 2012 WI seasons first week and my buddy had a tag. We started off the morning off in a ground blind on a field adge and had birds gobbling to our right about 100 yards away. Well first hens came out and got to within about 5 yards from the blind when 3 bigs toms stepped out and all of the hens ran to them but came running right back to the setup and brought the toms dragging behind. Well the lead bird ran right up to the full strutt decoy we had out at about 20 yards and my buddy missed him!

Well off to the second property. Got there and found some birds in a field and they were close so backed out and setup in a spot where we knew they were going to exit the field. Well the first 2 birds passed threw at 30 yards. Both were bearded hen and my buddy didnt shoot. Next 3 more small toms came threw and he passed on those also. finally a big gobbler stepped out at 35 and he missed that one also! They ran off but the another tom stepped out at 30 yards...he missed that one also!!! We decided to go in for lunch.

After lunch we decided to head back to the first spot of the day but this time setup in a big opening in the woods. We were there about 20 minutes when my buddy gets a phone call from his uncle saying that he got one and was at his house to show him. He wanted to go back to the house and see it but I told him to wait 5 more minutes. After I said that I let loose a gobble from the Haint by Knight and Hale and 3 birds sounded off what sounded like 50 yards away. After doing some soft yelps to lure them in they caught sight of the strutting decoy and came running in and my buddy layed this bird down at 25 yards.

21lbs
9 inch beard
3/4 inch spurs

Turkeyfan

Nice job staying with it and after them.

gophert

At that rate your friend is going to single handedly keep the ammo companies in business!

Turkey Fever....you got to love it!  Congrats!

scoot12

congrats,  where are you from in Wisconsin?  Scoot

woodwzrd

Nice going. That looks like a pig of a bird. Gotta love those fat WI two year olds. You are more patient than me. After the third strike I would have taken his gun away. Your buddy looks familiar to me where are you guys from?

yelpy

longbeard95

Im from Shawano and hes origonaly from Gillet but has moved to Shawano. This bird was taken in gillet though.

Dray223

Horrible shooting, but an awesome end to the story! And by the way I don't think Knight and Hale makes the Haint gobble call.

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

longbeard95

Quote from: Dray223 on April 12, 2012, 07:59:46 AM
Horrible shooting, but an awesome end to the story! And by the way I don't think Knight and Hale makes the Haint gobble call.
Your right. I ment the Hale Fire. I dont know what I was thinking when I said the Haint

Dray223

I figured thats what you ment.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

After the first miss he would've been put on the DL.  After the second he would've been done carrying a gun.

You're a better man than I.

Congrats to him on a nice bird.

fsu33952

Those turkey's don't sound like the sharpest knives in the drawer. The turkeys here in Alabama would have shut up for a week if you shoot within a half mile of them.

ctwny1

eaglea1

Good Job!  I can't wait , I go the 25th down by Monroe  :TrainWreck1: