OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good day in the woods

Started by Cutt, April 02, 2012, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Hiked some Public Land today to check some spots, and was amazed with the turkey activity. Very tough area to hunt let alone hike, mainly very steep hills with very narrow tops that drop right back off.

Pulled in the lot a daybreak, didn't walk 50 yards and a gobbler flew down in front of me. After he moved off, I headed to a steep hillside that bordered a field. Once there I hear a bird gobbling look out in the field and he is strutting around. Then I hear hens yelping, and they go right to him. Watched them for a bit only to hear another gobber coming in, couldn't see him but must of met up with another gobbler, as all I heard was wing flogging for about 7 min.

Walked to another spot to check and hear another gobbler going off, right where I was going. Accidently bumped him going to this spot and he flew off. Found a good tree so cleared the dead sticks for a future hunt, and another bird starts sounding off in the bottom.

Got out of there and walked about 1/2 mile to another area, and as I got near crunching in the leaves 2 gobblers sound off below me to the left. Then they got another bird below me to my right sounding off. This was all about 4 hours of hiking, and headed back to my truck there's another bird right where the one flew down this morning.

Unbelievable day, seemed like birds were just sounding off from me crunching in the dry leaves. I can only hope the Season is this good? But a month to go, who knows?  I wonder though as birds were split up with hens going to them? Regardless hunting or not, it was a good day in the woods.