OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

pro deer hunter

Started by stone road turkey calls, October 14, 2011, 06:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stone road turkey calls

Been watching deer hunting shows this week, just how $ rich do you have to be to be considered a profesional deer hunter?
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

dirt road ninja

I don't consider most of the guys that have TV shows Pro deer hunters. The outfitter that is putting them in the stands are the ones who make there living hunting deer. I see way to many high fence hunts to have a lot of respect for most of the guys on TV. I would think the majority of them are fairly weathly to begin with. I cant imagine that it would pay that well. I know lots of pro fishermen both guides and commerical. When Bill Dance, Roland Martin, Allen/Keith Warren or one of the other big name guys come to fish/film Venice they always hire one of the local guides to put them on the fish. I think most of the hunting shows do the same thing. Another opinion of mine is that the guys on the hunting shows are better salemen then deer hunters.

It does sound like I'm hating on shows, but I'm not, as I watch them all and once in awhile you might learn a trick or two. Some of the folks on TV I feel are regular guys with a true passion for the sport and I always seem to enjoy their shows more. 

I seem to veiw most of the shows with the same mind frame as watching professional wrestling. You know it's not real, but still amusing.

Now to answer the question you posted. If you pay your bills by hunting or guiding hunters then in my opinion your a pro.

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on October 14, 2011, 11:50:51 AM
Some of the folks on TV I feel are regular guys with a true passion for the sport and I always seem to enjoy their shows more. 

Primos is my favorite and my favorite out of the is Keith Burgess, he seems like a regular ole boy.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

honker22

I am a pro deer hunter.  I get paid everytime I pull a loin off the grill or steaks out of the grease... Also, the QT spent in the woods is enough pay for me.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Longshanks

The Lakoskys, Kiskys, Bill Winke, and Michael Waddel are the real thing to name a few when it comes to whitetail hunting. Jim shockey is impressive when it comes to all big game guiding and hunting.IMO. The folks hunting in high fences are a disgrace to the sport of deer hunting. Being able to show up at a ranch and choose which deer you want from photographs is basically like ordering off of a menu. The owners of these places talk about "selling " you a deer and what price they will let you " have him" for. I thought Larry Weisum was legit until I saw him hunting high fence. There is a reason Pope & Young and Boone & Crockett do not recognize these animals.
    I am totally ok with people making a living because thank god we live in a capitolist society..  Whether or not some of these hunters exemplify the principles that reflect true sportmanship is up to each individual.. I dont support the people that i dont respect by watching their shows... I turn the channel.

turkey slayer

Quote from: honker22 on October 15, 2011, 12:10:42 PM
I am a pro deer hunter.  I get paid everytime I pull a loin off the grill or steaks out of the grease... Also, the QT spent in the woods is enough pay for me.
:agreed: