turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Realistic pattern

Started by Canteathorns, March 14, 2014, 05:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canteathorns

What  would you consider a good hunting 35 yard pattern . shot my daughters 870 20ga today best pattern at 35 is 75 in 10 . 6-8 in skull and neck bone with 2.75 hi brass 7.5s . Seems a little lite .may try to find some 3" 7.5 mags and see if numbers go up . Can't afford HTL . What's your opinion ? Thanks

redarrow

If you insist on using lead you may never do any better than what you got.HTL isn't cheap but how much did you lay out for the gun,clothes,license etc. Don't skimp on good ammo.For me anything under 150 at 40 yds. isn't enough.Good luck finding a shell that works for you.

Canteathorns

150 WOW ! I've never gotten over 110 with my 12ga ! Going to have to bite the bullet and try some .

BandedSpur

Quote from: Canteathorns on March 14, 2014, 05:38:46 PM
What  would you consider a good hunting 35 yard pattern . shot my daughters 870 20ga today best pattern at 35 is 75 in 10 . 6-8 in skull and neck bone with 2.75 hi brass 7.5s . Seems a little lite .may try to find some 3" 7.5 mags and see if numbers go up . Can't afford HTL . What's your opinion ? Thanks

A good 35 yd pattern is the same as a good pattern at any other distance, 100/10. Your 75/10 35 yd pattern sounds like a good 30 yd pattern.

MDSTRUTNRUT

I would shoot for at  least 100 in a 10" circle as a marker  for your max range.   If 40 yards then great if its 25 then thats your max range with you setup.   As they say "YOU CAN'T MAKE CHICKEN SALAD OUTTA CHICKEN CRAP!"   I would change load my S&W semiauto 20 with unknown turkey choke and 3" FEDERAL HEAVYWEIGHT 7's  gets 110 in 10" at 40 yards give it a try not an arm and leg and how much is a dead longbeard in your turkey vest worth to you.      GOODLUCK!

BowBendr

What choke are you shooting in the gun now ?

For lead, try the Fiocchi 3'' 1.25 oz. nickel plated pheasant load in 7.5's. Some guys here shooting them well.

Canteathorns

She is shooting a jelly head  .575 I believe .