turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Saddle mount Rem 870

Started by yelpy, February 01, 2018, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

Anyone use one on there Turkey rig? How do you like It? I'm looking at using one to mount a burris or similar on my new used turkey rig and can't help but wander if there good and solid or if poa and poi change.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

yelpy

Here's a pic of the rig.

Greg Massey

I have saddle mounts on both my 12 gauge and 20 gauge and have never had a problem. i like them because it gives me a choose of still seeing my regular sights on the gun with no problem.. Now some people are going to say have it drilled and tap nothing wrong with that either.. i have Nikon turkey pro mounted on my 12 gauge and Simmons pro Diamond on my 20 gauge ....lot's of people use saddle mounts...

buzzardroost

I have a used one I could sell you if you want it. 12 gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

Quote from: buzzardroost on February 02, 2018, 09:16:15 AM
I have a used one I could sell you if you want it. 12 gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the offer! I do have one already or I would take it off your hands. The reason I asked about the saddle mounts is because the gun has one on it. Figured I would save a few bucks on a drill and tap job if they work good.

mightyjoeyoung

Here's one on an 870 superman I did up for my brother as a best man gift for my wedding last june.  Patriot sear spring, mossy oak breakup shurshot stock and fore end, tactical olive drab dura coat finish on all exposed metal, eased forcing cone, mirror polished barrel saddle mount with a truglo turkey red dot and a bunch of chokes. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

We put about 100 rounds through it after zeroing the sight with everything from 1 1/8 ounce dove loads all the way up to 3.5 mag blends.  Never lost zero.  I did loktite the bolt threads and made sure the magazine cap was extremely tight.  Keeps things consistent...

yelpy

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 02, 2018, 03:57:30 PM
We put about 100 rounds through it after zeroing the sight with everything from 1 1/8 ounce dove loads all the way up to 3.5 mag blends.  Never lost zero.  I did loktite the bolt threads and made sure the magazine cap was extremely tight.  Keeps things consistent...

Very nice looking 870!!! Thank you for the confidence! Sounds like you put it to the test. I am going to run with the saddle mount and the sitemark and see what happens. Can't hurt to try it since I already have it. I will loctite the bolts also and I always keep the mag cap tight on all my shotguns. The barrels twist back and forth if they aren't tight.

What is your reason for the patriot sear spring?

CtRider

Which saddle mount do you guys recommend ?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: yelpy on February 02, 2018, 10:40:48 PM

Very nice looking 870!!! Thank you for the confidence! Sounds like you put it to the test. I am going to run with the saddle mount and the sitemark and see what happens. Can't hurt to try it since I already have it. I will loctite the bolts also and I always keep the mag cap tight on all my shotguns. The barrels twist back and forth if they aren't tight.

The patriot sear spring turns a normally chunky trigger into something well...better. almost rifle quality break and weight.  With today's extremely tight patterning load/choke combos, it really helps keep you on target by reducing jerking a heavy, cluncky shotgun trigger.  Also keep in mind a saddle mount will add some hight to your optic and you (the one pictured allows use of the vent rib and bead in an emergency) so you may need to raise the comb of the stock to maintain eye alignment. ..

Greg Massey

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 03, 2018, 08:07:00 AM
Quote from: yelpy on February 02, 2018, 10:40:48 PM

The patriot sear spring turns a normally chunky trigger into something well...better. almost rifle quality break and weight.  With today's extremely tight patterning load/choke combos, it really helps keep you on target by reducing jerking a heavy, cluncky shotgun trigger.  Also keep in mind a saddle mount will add some hight to your optic and you (the one pictured allows use of the vent rib and bead in an emergency) so you may need to raise the comb of the stock to maintain eye alignment. ..
I have saddle mounts and scopes and i know some people say they have this problem , but i really don't notice the alignment problems ..i have the Surshot stock on my 20 gauge ..

Yoder409

Have had a B-Square saddle mount on the wife's 870 Turkey for 17-18 years holding up a 30mm red dot.

Zero it and forget it.  It's a little more cumbersome than a Weaver rail screwed down.  But if you're receiver is not D&T and you want a quick, easy fix..............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

owlhoot

B-square on a 12 and a 20 gauge 870. Sure-shot stocks and red dots. No problems and working fine.

yelpy

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful info to give me some confidence in the saddle mount!!

Damson

Has anyone noticed a POI change say if you remove the trigger group but keep the saddle mount on the gun?