OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tungsten shot in older (80s) Remington?

Started by PALongspur, September 09, 2015, 08:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PALongspur

I'm just wondering if it's safe to shoot modern tungsten shot (likely Federal Heavyweight) through an older Remington 870 Special Purpose Magnum. This is an early 80s model, one of the first "turkey" guns offered by Remington with a 26" fixed full choke barrel.

Any help is appreciated!

mwr

I wouldn't, probably blow that full choke out..IMO

vaturkey

That Rem 80's model 870 is built like a tank ! IMO the metal is thicker & stronger ! The full choke probably compairs to about a .660 -.665 . I think you would be ok with the Fed HW's.  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

R AJ

Also consider whether you will be shooting it only a few times a year or boxes and boxes of the tungsten based shot.Check with Remington or a competent gun smith first because that gun is too good to get a bulge in it.
With the new Winchester Longbeard XR, RoosterXR, or Winchester Double X loads ,one should do plenty good enough for hunting purposes. If for some strange reason these don't do the trick I would try Federal FC in #5s or 6s.

Good luck . You have a fine shotgun that should serve you well for turkey hunting.

PALongspur

Thanks for the replies. This gun is a proven turkey killer, it was my late father's. His load of choice was always Federal 2 oz. 4s and they are devastating. Just wondering if I can expand my options into the realm of heavier than lead ammo.

decoykrvr

Based upon patterning done by myself and others on this site, I would initially evaluate the Winchester LongBeard 3", 5's and 6's which produce phenominel 40 yard patterns w/ a substantial margin of error for misjudged ranges.

Spring Fever

Try the Long beards 1st. My father has a mid 80's Rem 870 full barrel 26 or 28 I can't remember we played with last year and those Long Beards in #5 is what he went with. He hasn't had the chance try it on a turkey yet, but it looks good punching paper.
You should be fine with the hevi weight.He didn't have any problems out of his when he tried, but it was only one shot. The wads now do a better job keeping the shot in then they used too. (Just my opinion)
Good luck

PALongspur

Just an update. I called Remington about this and they told me any guns newer than about 1960 are safe to use with modern non-toxic shot.

As for the Longbeards, I'll be trying them also. However, though they pattern great out of everything I've tried them in, they can't hold a candle to the knockdown power of Federal Heavyweight.

vaturkey

Quote from: PALongspur on September 23, 2015, 10:11:35 AM
Just an update. I called Remington about this and they told me any guns newer than about 1960 are safe to use with modern non-toxic shot.

As for the Longbeards, I'll be trying them also. However, though they pattern great out of everything I've tried them in, they can't hold a candle to the knockdown power of Federal Heavyweight.

That is VERY TRUE !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey