OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 problem

Started by Terry, February 11, 2014, 06:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

My 870 express supermag(3-1/2") is beating up the shotshell brass. All my turkey loads that have been cycled through the gun have creases in the brass. Also, it sometimes jams with the 3-1/2's. The spent shells come out but the next in line jams between being brought out of the tube and into the chamber.

Any ideas and do you think the two issues are related?  Thanks for your time.

Here are pics

FXDWG

There is a post on the previous page that helped me resolve a problem with mine. Your problem sounds a bit more severe than what I was having. Mine was an easy fix with a dremell. I'll try to copy the link to here

FXDWG

Try this video. It clearly shows how to get rid of some slop left over from poor machining
Good luck

http://youtu.be/mlGoxNsaieE

Tommythreetoes

I don't have an extract problem, but mine does dent the brass.  Not as bad as your pics, but it does happen.  Hopefully somebody's got the fix.

shuey270

My 3.5" dent the brass as well but no jams.

Terry

Let me clarify and say that it rarely jams, but it does happen.

Deputy 14

A lot of the problem you're seeing is with the brass, not the gun. Thinning the brass is one of the less intelligent way that shell manufacturers have found to reduce cost. The brass on everything I've shot in the last three years has been crap. Even just cycling the shells is causing obvious damage to the brass.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I want to say you got either 1 of these problem.  Either the chamber on your gun is too tight and not the right dimension or those shells didn't get the brass sized to the correct dimensions.  But I don't see any extractor tear throughs on the brass to where it splits the brass rim from the ejector.  I had a buddy years ago that had a Moss 9200 that you could shoot a shell and it would completely rip the brass and pull the receiver bolt back to cycle but leave the actual fired empty hull in the chamber.  I don't know what the issue was on that, but I would guess the same thing may be happening here.  He sent the gun in and Moss fixed that problem.  But that gun was the biggest piece of crap that Moss ever made.  I think he had other issues with it as well after he got it back.  He later sold the gun. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Ok I read you post back over.  That problem is occurring on the shell going into the chamber.  I would say it either the same issue of the chamber too tight and undersized or the shells being oversized at the brass.