OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win Long Beard XR???

Started by stinkpickle, September 19, 2013, 10:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

I agree with davisd9, lead is lead not matter what. And out to 70yds? Im not sure if I would shoot that far or not! Needless to say, they do come at a good price, and im sure they pattern great so they will sell a lot for sure. Think I am sticking with my Nitro Company though!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

chatterbox

I only have a chance to kill one longbeard in the spring, and very limited oppurtunities in the fall.
I think this load looks promising, but I will stick with Hevi-13 3-2-7 in my 12, and Fed heviweight #7 in my sons 20 ga.
I have spent too many hours working on my setup to change now.

R AJ

Quote from: chatterbox on September 28, 2013, 12:14:49 PM
I only have a chance to shoot at one longbeard in the spring, and very limited oppurtunities in the fall.
I think this load looks promising, but I will stick with Hevi-13 3-2-7 in my 12, and Fed heviweight #7 in my sons 20 ga.
I have spent too many hours working on my setup to change now.

When playing  draw poker and you see 4 aces and a King of spades,hold the hand you have and likewise with a 10-Ace of spades never try for a pair. Sort of silly but that is where you are and you show wisdom.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I predict that if it shoots as good as advertised, it will sell very well. 

The only things that limited the sales of the Federal Turkey Thugs last year were the quantity available, and the fact that you could only get them at Wal-Mart. 

If the new Winchester Long Beard load shoots even better numbers, and is available at many different stores, then I predict it will be a big hit.

Many people want to see a $1 - $2 Shell shoot 150-200 at 40 Yards.  If and When that happens, I predict that a few folks will stop buying HTL.  HTL is fantastic, but it is one more price increase away from pricing itself out of the market.

I wish good luck to Winchester.  I hope it goes well for them.  I like their products.  Xpert Steel Shotshells, 1 ounce Game Loads, 1.125 ounce Sporting Clays loads, HV Magnum Turkey loads, Buckshot loads, etc.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Some people may end up thinking this load shoots too tight inside 40 Yards.  I guess Win already has a 40 Yard load or two for sale, so this could be their Long Range load.  They'll have all the bases covered.

owlhoot

Wonder why the choke makers and competition shooters haven't commented on these loads? What do you guys think about the lead in glue, jello concept?
Will it consistently break apart every time?
Pattern consistently?
At say 20 to 90 degrees?
What will all that do inside the ports of that choke ? Or the internal brakes?
Probably wait until you actually get some to test yourself.
Oh boy

Don't get me wrong , i hope it does great.
What is wrong though is the 70 yard statement , it will sell the shells to most that don't even pattern their guns.
We owe it to the turkeys we pursue to be more responsible than that.

BowBendr

I'm calling BS on that 40 yd. press photo Winchester put out.
I'm calling BS on the max yardage performance they're claiming with lead shot.
Buffered lead, is buffered lead, is buffered lead...it (buffer) doesn't mysteriously turn back to powder from a solidified state after it leaves the barrel....

People rolled over in their graves when Hevi put out their commercial for the MagBlend loads, and the performance claims they made. Remember ? Where is the "turkey killing ain't done right unless you call 'em to 20 yds. and shoot their eyelashes off" crowd ? Now people are intrigued (not directly talking about this thread).....
Pure marketing to the un-informed ?

Read on another forum that Winchester reps were saying the Drury brothers killed birds at 66 yds. with them last season....if that shells works exactly as stated...we can't discuss it here anyway.
Just food for thought.

chatterbox

Quote from: BowBendr on September 30, 2013, 01:54:38 AM
I'm calling BS on that 40 yd. press photo Winchester put out.
I'm calling BS on the max yardage performance they're claiming with lead shot.
Buffered lead, is buffered lead, is buffered lead...it (buffer) doesn't mysteriously turn back to powder from a solidified state after it leaves the barrel....

People rolled over in their graves when Hevi put out their commercial for the MagBlend loads, and the performance claims they made. Remember ? Where is the "turkey killing ain't done right unless you call 'em to 20 yds. and shoot their eyelashes off" crowd ? Now people are intrigued (not directly talking about this thread).....
Pure marketing to the un-informed ?

Read on another forum that Winchester reps were saying the Drury brothers killed birds at 66 yds. with them last season....if that shells works exactly as stated...we can't discuss it here anyway.
Just food for thought.
This. ^^^^^^^^^

owlhoot

Seen a video on American Hunter sight today.
This guy layed on the 50 and 60 yard shooting, but did say 60 yards you need to practice.
40 yards is for any full choke gun and load.
He compared the winchester XD loads with the new loads. Compared HD 4'S against the lead 5 and 6 shot for pattern pellet counts.(isn't that special).
52 for hd 4's And 147 for the new lead load 6's. This at 50 yards in a ten inch circle.
Oh and the fancy loads need to be shot into space, not a 15 pound turkey.
80 yards patterns failed to penetrate the cardboard target backing so that's pushing the limits he said.

ctwny1

I'm looking forward to patterning these new shells.

SumToy

I have been trying to get some of them to test.   I know a lot of how something sales is marketing.   I know Winchester has changed a few things in some shells as of late.   I cant see this load out doing the EX-Rang they had.  The Now I would love to see a good load come out.  It hard for folks to pay the $$$$ of the HV13 but if you want the performance that the only thing left.   I would also like to see Winchester step up on the 20ga side also. 

If someone finds any let me know.  I mail you the money to pick them up for me.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gobble!

I'm throwing the BS flag too. They are talkng this up more than their heavier than lead loads. That 40 yard pattern was probably paced off and actually 32 yards.

davisd9

Quote from: Gobble! on November 30, 2013, 12:40:45 PM
I'm throwing the BS flag too. They are talkng this up more than their heavier than lead loads. That 40 yard pattern was probably paced off and actually 32 yards.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Well if they shot that pattern at 40 with the gun/choke In video I checked out. :drool:   You put one of our chokes, TruGlow, IC or PG you be blowing holes at 40.    :toothy12:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

owlhoot

another report from the truth about guns site.
Anyone know about this guy? Is he credible or just paid for?
A few loads are compared.