turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hornady shells?

Started by Yooper, April 23, 2013, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yooper

Has anyone any first hand accounts of using the new Hornady shells?  The company recommends using a modified choke instead of tighter chokes.  Does that really work?

Mike Honcho

I think Clark Bush, a member on the site (allaboutshooting) may have published a review of them on his website  some time ago,

www.allaboutshooting.com

CASH

No personal experience, but the general consensus on the forums hasn't been positive.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Clif Owen

No personal experience myself either..due to the negative comments here but I have a friend in Michigan that loves them. He says they shoot better in his gun than anything he has tried.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Yooper on April 23, 2013, 08:56:00 AM
Has anyone any first hand accounts of using the new Hornady shells?  The company recommends using a modified choke instead of tighter chokes.  Does that really work?

I evaluated them several months ago with turkey chokes and subsequently with modified chokes as suggested by the maker.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any choke combination that would deliver patterns equal to or better than other lead shells which are currently on the market.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

worthless junk
barely fit for squirrel hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Lucky Clucker

Me and a few friends tried them, and never got a pattern worth killing a turkey past 25 yards,I believe I could por the shot in my hand and throw it and get a better pattern,we shot in full cjoke out of a new England 12 ga. that loves the Federal flight control wad loads, (the versatite wad is similar but not as good, the wings on the side open up and the shot goes out, )xxfull smooth chokes, Jelly head .670 choke,and remingtons terminator chokes, plus imp,and modified chokes,Hornandy is a good ammo company but these turkey loads are crap,they would be a good crow or rabbit load.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

mikejd

They stink. Almost like a joke they were so bad.

And that did surprise me as I am a big fan of Hornady products. I guess they should stick to there rifle ammo.

beagler

I've heard nothing but negative comments from several individuals who tried them.
Never Misses

WildTigerTrout

I have not heard ANY good reports on them. IMO they have alot more R&D to do.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jblackburn

Hornady needs to stick to rifle ammo
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Clif Owen

Any of you that has some they want to get rid of....let me know. I will put you in touch with a guy that loves them.