turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions please Win Xtended #6's at 55 yards

Started by Yoder409, April 03, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

I've been a #6 lead and 40 yard limit guy most all my turkey hunting life.

I just set up a newly acquired Super X3 with a Weaver red dot and a .670" Kicks GT tube.  In doing a little monkeying around, I find that the combo holds sufficient pattern density for clean a kill to 55 yards.  But do the Xtended #6's carry enough per-pellet energy to be attempting that distance on a living, breathing gobbler ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

chatterbox

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 03, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

I just set up a newly acquired Super X3 with a Weaver red dot and a .670" Kicks GT tube.  In doing a little monkeying around, I find that the combo holds sufficient pattern density for clean a kill to 55 yards.  But do the Xtended #6's carry enough per-pellet energy to be attempting that distance on a living, breathing gobbler ??
Just to let you know, there is no open discussion about shots or setups over 40 yards on the OG.
When discussing patterns, please limit it to 40 yards and under.

spaightlabs

Borden811

If he's not inside 40, he wins. That's the whole point of the game, calling them in close. If you want to snipe him, why not use a rifle?

Yoder409

Quote from: chatterbox on April 03, 2013, 07:54:24 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on April 03, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

Just to let you know, there is no open discussion about shots or setups over 40 yards on the OG.
When discussing patterns, please limit it to 40 yards and under.

Was not aware of this rule.  Can't say it's a bad one.

Maybe I should clarify.  I don't particularly have any real intention of taking an intentional 55 yard shot at a gobbler.  Actually, my LIFETIME average shot on turkeys is right around 28.5 yards.  That's the way I roll.  I was just wondering if the "Xtended Range" labeling of these shotshells was justified, i.e. is the relationship between pattern density and per-pellet energy linear and parallel ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Well, I think it's obvious that Winchester's marketing intent for "Xtended Range" ammunition, was "if you buy this and use it, it will extend your range", whether they ever actually said that or not.  What does Xtended Range mean after all?.

If I were to market a product which I named and labeled "High MPG Gasoline", wouldn't you expect a few more miles per gallon?

This forum strongly discourages talk about the Over 40 Yards topic.

However, I believe that is the main reason for the demand for HTL, and the reason that the average Joe buys it.  They are looking for a 50 Yard load.  Not everyone is, but why pay 5-7 times as much for the same range limitations?

chipper