OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to use a trumpet call?

Started by totallycluckedup, December 19, 2012, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

totallycluckedup

I've been looking at some of these nice trumpet calls on here, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me where or how to learn to use one.  I'm always looking for something new and fun to try.

Trophy_Taker

Alan Sentell made a dvd a few years ago that you still might be able to find and it was pretty informative.  Other that that I'd say pick one up and practice practice practice...

Matt...

dirt road ninja

Savduck on here did a video. I think it is in the section just below this one. I can't pull up videos on my work machine. If I could I'd post the link for ya.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

vaturkey

If I was 1/2 as good as Joe Slaton or Del Crow I would be happy !!! 
Vaturkey

savduck

Im thinking about making another more formal one, seeing as how the current one keeps coming back around.
Georgia Boy

totallycluckedup

Just watched the video... that helped quite a bit.  Anybody want to throw some recommendations my way on where to get one?

savduck

You can get a great quality trumpet at a very reasonable price from a bunch of guys on here. Mero, pappy, trkyhtr, Crawdad, msharpe, gitzit69. I own trumpets from all of them.

As you move up to the more pricey trumpets. Buice, Permar, McClain, Mike Williams (MKW ), Craig Scott, Danny Wells, Cox. Are all good ones.
Georgia Boy

Jacobson

Quote from: savduck on December 20, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
You can get a great quality trumpet at a very reasonable price from a bunch of guys on here. Mero, pappy, trkyhtr, Crawdad, msharpe, gitzit69. I own trumpets from all of them.

As you move up to the more pricey trumpets. Buice, Permar, McClain, Mike Williams (MKW ), Craig Scott, Danny Wells, Cox. Are all good ones.
X-2 , Del is spot on here. All the above names make trumpets that you can kill turkeys with. The bottom line is you always get out of something exactly what you put into it. I ran trumpets every day until I was confident in my abillities. My favorite trumpet changes monthly, and each trumpet needs to be run in a differant way. You really need to put the work in.  Good Luck !!! They are magical in the woods.....

drenalinld

My favorite is whichever one I have been spending time getting it right. Some will definitely match your style better, but you have to develop a style. The best advice for me was call as soft as you can call trying to make really subtle tree yelps and relax jaws and lips. Any tension will ruin the sound.

M Sharpe

Quote from: drenalinld on December 20, 2012, 03:16:08 PM
Any tension will ruin the sound.

I have found that tightening up on the mouthpiece will raise the pitch a little on one that is on the low side.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

alloutdoors

Quote from: savduck on December 20, 2012, 12:37:35 PM

If you would be willing and could find the time, I think it would be really interesting to have you put together an audio file where you run a bunch of trumpets doing the same call sequence on each, with half being from the "reasonable price" group and the other half being the more expensive ones. Don't identify them and have people guess which group each trumpet belongs to. I'd personally be very surprised if people did any better than 50/50 with guessing which trumpets belonged to which group, but if it turned out otherwise it might finally push me to add one of the more expensive trumpets to my collection.  ;D

savduck

If you go to the call you tube section. There are video sound files of each and every one.

The price doesn't necessarily reflect the sound by no means. Some guys just feel their time is worth more than others. Brian Mero sells a Tom Turpin award winning trumpet design at a very reasonable cost. He could easily get way more, but he wants for his trumpets to be affordable.

My suggestion is to start out with a value priced trumpet because they may not be for you. Some guys can't run them no matter how long they have tried. I'd rather be out 75 to 125 dollars than 175 to 300
Georgia Boy

pappy

Choosing a trumpet is like choosing the right doctor.....credentials is the key. Be certain to talk to and ask the maker to run the call. This is where you will profit from purchasing fro a custom call maker. Learning how to run one after you buy one is completely up to you. This is why when calls are judged on a state or national level they are judged on "user friendly" qualities. Remember it takes practice, and not the kind that you pick up and try for an hour and quit practice, we're talking about a practice that goes till you just can't go no more....Drenalind said it right, "Some will definitely match your style better, but you have to develop a style." as a call maker can try their best to help you along, you have to make the trumpet "yours" through the style you chose to run it. I like to place the call in the left side of my mouth, some like the right and some like the center, (does this effect how the call sounds?) not really, but it does effect how comfortable you are while running it AND THAT EFFECTS HOW THE CALL WILL SOUND.
Price makes a difference too, as some hunters may shy away from the more expensive calls, just because of their pricing, but if you choose to do that, then remember to pick the call maker like you do your doctor, their credentials are important, and on this site there are several reputable and credited call makers that can make you a call to fit your need and you pocket book. Just don't be fooled by..."you get what you pay for" ... that doesn't work with calls, just don't be fooled by "so and so and so and so makes the best calls" YOU have to be the JUDGE....since you are going to invest time and money from your pocket.......
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

totallycluckedup