OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Soft calling pot

Started by bigbird, February 04, 2014, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I was just wondering what you all had to think about who makes the best soft calling pot call? I've got a Woodhaven purr pot, but was wondering if there was a good custom call out there that you don't hear much about that is better than a purr pot?

davisd9

Any good quality slate is a great soft call, especially with strikers made from pecan or cedar.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

drum817

Quote from: davisd9 on February 04, 2014, 02:48:46 PM
Any good quality slate is a great soft call, especially with strikers made from pecan or cedar.

+1   Take any good slate call and lay it flat in the palm of your hand to help mute it and it will work just great!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

West Augusta

I agree. Get a good quality slate pot call and two strikers. One hard for loud calling and a softer wood for the early morning tree calling and in close work.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

SS Calls

Quote from: drum817 on February 04, 2014, 02:55:24 PM

+1   Take any good slate call and lay it flat in the palm of your hand to help mute it and it will work just great!!!

Yep, works great!  :icon_thumright:

hunter22

Here are two I have had a lot of success using. The call on the left is the Tree Talker from Roger Parks and the call on the right is Lonnie Sneed's pocket call. I killed gobblers in Colorado and Kansas right at fly down with nothing but the Parks Tree call. Both birds answered my tree yelps and flew down literally right in my lap.