OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

FRED COX STRIKERS

Started by REBELYELL, February 15, 2013, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

Has anyone tried Grand Slam strikers made by Fred Cox? I see them in Midwest turkey catalog every year, but don't never hear much about them on the streets, in the field or on here.

http://www.grandslamturkeycalls.com/

lightsoutcalls

I tried Fred Cox strikers years ago.  Honestly, they are what made me try turning dymondwood.  I like the sound and feel of the ones I got from him.  I bought about 4 or 5 from him and gave them to friends.  The ones I had were not shaped like the ones on his website.  He was making the "baseball bat" shaped strikers then as well, but I liked the other style he had. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

hunter22

Here are my Fred Cox strikers. I have called in several birds using some of them. Very well balanced strikers.

REBELYELL

What are those, left to right?

BowBendr

I got a dymondwood and a red cedar striker from him last year at the dixie deer classic in North Carolina. The cedar runs awesome on a copper pot, tones it down and gives amazing low volume sounds !

Headhunter270

Got three strikers from him at the Dillard show and they are awesome .Try the tulipwood that thing makes all my call sound good best all around striker I got

golfernash

The tulipwood is a great all around striker.

o2stk1

at 15 bucks and up for just a striker I understand why u don't hear much about them

VanHelden Game Calls

$15 is a decent deal when your talking hand made strikers.  We do like to get paid :you_rock:

Just food for thought, it takes me close to an hr to select wood, cut wood, turn wood, sand wood, finish wood, inspect striker.  But I am slow :morning:

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 17, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
$15 is a decent deal when your talking hand made strikers.  We do like to get paid :you_rock:

Just food for thought, it takes me close to an hr to select wood, cut wood, turn wood, sand wood, finish wood, inspect striker.  But I am slow :morning:

I agree, only select premium wood is used on strikers, and a lot of skiled time and expensive tools. $15 bucks is a good deal.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

ccleroy

$15 is a solid price on turned strikers, that's pretty low saying someone's price is to high considering the time they have in it....why don't you go ahead and start turning and spend the time making them and sell the for $5

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: ccleroy on February 17, 2013, 10:26:41 PM
$15 is a solid price on turned strikers, that's pretty low saying someone's price is to high considering the time they have in it....why don't you go ahead and start turning and spend the time making them and sell the for $5

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

When you figure in the cost of the wood, shipping, time to turn the striker, time spent by the maker in figuring out the right balance for the wood, time spent developing a design for the striker that is different from the next guy...    If you don't like to pay $15 for a hand turned striker, you can probably find some of those 2 piece tinker toy looking strikers at walmart for a couple of bucks. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Gooserbat

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 17, 2013, 08:33:35 PM

Just another example of someone wanting you to work for minimum wage but I'm sure they wouldn't want to themself.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey-slayer

Fred Cox makes some very good strikers. Some of them are shaped like a baseball bat and are handmade from various woods but I like his laminated strikers best. $15 or more isn't too much to pay for handturned strikers in my opinion. I probably got about 10 of them and they work well on most good pot calls.

dreis3

Fred makes some outstanding calls and strikers. I have a snow goose bone/corncob and a Canada goose bone/corncob striker from and they both sound very good on all surfaces.

From the cost/call making side of this convo... I know, personally, I really don't like to turn strikers, I do for all of my calls, but I'd rather turn a pot any day of the week. That being said, I don't mind paying $25 for a good striker, a highly quality striker can really bring a call to life
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com