Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

GREASTEST HUNT !!

Started by JeffC, May 07, 2024, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Saturdays hunt was another learning experience for me. I saw the Tom of my dreams and fell in LOVE! The picture I posted in Sat. hunt log didnt do him justice. The more I thought about those stubborn Toms that loved gobbling at me from the private that bordered the WMA made me have dreams of being able to pull them into an area where I had a chance.
Saturdays hunt ended with me soaked from the rain, rain most of Sunday into Monday morning. I knew the birds didnt have much room for bugging and getting into open areas for drying out. They had to venture into field to eat and dry out. Problem was half of field was WMA but safety zone, houses too close. Thought I might be able to pull them into corner where I killed last Mondays Tom if I put out a decoy Hen.
Monday wake up was dry no rain, figured I try a different area I havent hunted before, was nice but very little sign, only heard 3 gobbles way off property. Around 5am rain started again, scouted area till 7ish. Headed to truck and went back to WMA. Arrived at 8, no trucks at my spot. Head into corner I wanted to try my plan, new boot tracks in mud, some from this morning.
Set out decoy, realize corner is lower in field, turkeys will have to be close to see. I set up at tree half way between my killing tree and where last Mondays bird fell. Call and they answer still at home on private, North of me. Battle begins. Call every 10- 15 minutes, they respond, sometimes gobbling on their own. Hour into this I think I hear a gobble behind (South), where I hunted Saturday. South bird gobbles again closer. I decided that There might be a chance, get up from tree and walked 50 yds to South side of point of woods. He gobbled a few times and went quiet to my calling. Walked back to where i was set up, and called to North birds, there was at least 2 Toms that would answer. Another 1/2hr goes by and suddenly South bird gobbles in my woods, close, within 70yds. I am sitting facing field (North) big double truck tree. Crawl around tree to face South, have green briar patch between us, he will have to go to my right or thru point into field, My left (East). He goes East, gobbles when he wants, answering my calling and Toms that are still gobbling North. 1/2hr to 45min, quiet, I call nothing, North birds still answer but moved West some, still on private. I cant see field past point because of hill. Gobble to my Northwest changes everything, hes in my woods, I have to crawl around tree to North side, facing field again. Now have 2 birds gobbling NW, 1 sounds like a Jake. East and North birds are quiet. Birds NW are getting closer and responding to every call. Then a 3rd Tom Gobbles, its the East bird, he went through field and joined them. Hes got a great deep gobble. They moved to inside woods/ field edge, 80yds. Answer calls but wont budge, I really thought they could see decoy, we were almost perfectly in line.
Another hour goes by now after 11, closing time is 12. Have to do something, crawl to my right (East), want to stand up and move deeper into woods and go 20yds to West and call. Have gun but need call, move to West side of tree to reach around tree, see 3 Red heads in field 70yds out, all on high alert, figured they saw me come around tree, then Tom fans out and is strutting, see 1 more red head comes into view from my right then Smokey's head! My heart is pounding, I was on my knees behind tree, slide into a almost prone position and get my feet out in front of tree, 2nd full trip around this tree, guns pointed in their direction, they are slowly headed my way, strutter 1st in line, Smokey last in line.
Suddenly a hen comes through the high grass, 30yds, spots decoy and starts talking to it, all 5 male birds gobble, she gets to 25 and goes left, my right, towards decoy. All 5 birds are following her path, lead Tom in full strut. I am focused on Smokey, last in line, watch as each bird makes that turn and head towards decoy, just as last red head makes turn I hear dreaded PUTT! Smokey is at 30yds, raises head up high, pull trigger.
Didnt want any chances of flopping, saw him drop, ran right out, turkeys running and flying everywhere.
He was mine! Cant believe it worked, 11:33am. Took a picture so I had a time stamp, I was shaking, couldnt believe it worked!! Took a deep breath and said a thank you. Took another picture, less shaky, sent out a few text to people who matter.
No idea what the dominate Tom was, couldve been a record bird, didnt care, I was lucky enough to take the Tom I was in love with since getting his picture last week.
I call him a Smokey phase but hes really only half Smokey/ Gray colored. I would believe his father is the Smokey Tom I saw last year, never was able to get picture, havent seen him this year. The guys from PA that I talked to a few weeks ago have video of him, I hope I run into them and can get a picture, He really is White/ Gray.
Getting a full Strutting mount done. Have not killed a multiple bearded bird yet but have a 4 spurred Tom and 1st Tom mounted, Smokey will look great next to them. 20.4 lbs  15/16" sharp spurs  9 1/2" beard
WHAT A HUNT! 3 1/2hr battle, had 3 different Toms in 3 different directions gobbling at me.
Love being able to share this passion for this bird with like minded people, THANK YOU

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

JeffC

Vintage

Congrats on a great hunt and a great bird.

Happy

Well done! He is indeed a rare one!

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

really cool bird Jeff. a taxidermist might be able to fix that missing tail feather. May have to match it with a rio feather though.

JeffC

Thanks guys. ES, this bird is beat up, broken and missing feathers everywhere. I believe the other birds really picked on him because of being an odd ball? His legs show lots of scratch's, I have a great taxidermist, he will clean him up, glue on a bag of neck feathers I picked up, but I don't want to add anything that wasn't there when I killed him. Super happy just the way he is.   

austinc

Congrats Jeff he's a beautiful bird!

Muzzy61

Congrats Jeff! Very cool bird and hunt.

Bottomland OG

Great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Congratulations on a cool bird.

Ctate94

Can't beat that stuff! Congrats!

Tom007

Unreal! What a beauty! Congrats. You earned him!
"Solo hunter"

lacire

Awesome Jeff...  :icon_thumright:  I liked reading about you playing ring - a -round - the - rosy for over three three hours for that one  :TooFunny: , the ones you work for are always the memorable ones.

backforty

Congrats Jeff and a great bird. I would have loved to have been posted up watching you do circles around that tree.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

JeffC

Thank you all for allowing me to share one of the greatest hunts Ive ever had. So many things fell into place. These birds were visible from the road for over 1/2hr. I couldnt see them but anyone driving by would surely see them and take a chance on them.
So now the wait begins, taxidermist says 18 to 24 months.