North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Slow start

Started by xarcher, May 08, 2024, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xarcher

Fellers,
Our season started last Saturday.  Spent Saturday and Monday (no Sunday hunting here) in a spot where I had heard gobbling on 3 different roosts the week before while scouting.  Not a peep both days.  Perhaps the humidity and cloud cover played a factor?  And I stayed with my setup for hours, hoping one would sneek in.  Nuthin.

Tuesday I went to spot B and set up 100 yards south of where I had heard gobbling twice while scouting.  He gobbled on the roost, flew down and walked off to the north.  I hounded him for 2 hours and he ended up in the middle of a plowed field with 6 hens. 

This AM I slept in because of rain.  About 9:00 the sun came out so I went to spot C.  Got a coutesy gobble across a valley and moved to a better setup spot, only to see him occupied with a couple of hens in the middle of a cut corn field.  He didn't even look my way when I called to him.  Noon cut off here in PA for the first 2 weeks so I had to let him go as well. 

In general, I am seeing what everyone else is.  Our numbers are way down.  Maybe 6 years ago or so, I watched 13 turkeys hit the dirt between me and others I hunted with.  And it was not uncommon to hear 6 or 8 birds gobbling on the roost from one any one of my listening spots.  They hot bird is out there somewhere....

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

callaway71

Keep at it and good luck! Get between him and the field. Lol