News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help picking 20 auto

Started by wolverines, April 06, 2015, 12:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Quote from: wolverines on April 06, 2015, 11:31:48 PM
I will be honest, I had never considered a weatherby until that pic of the 459 was posted.  I like short barrel turkey guns.  I hunt with 21" and 22" barrels. Couple of questions.  What type choke threads do the weatherbys take and what kind of pattern #s are you guys getting with them?  I know the benelli a and winchesters are proven and durable, how will the weatherby hold up?

The Weatherby 459 series takes Beretta/Benelli mobile chokes.  They have chromed lined barrels and the few patterns I've seen in the 2014 models have been really good.  The 2015 is so new.  It just became available in April.  As far as durability, I would say the weatherby will probably be just fine, based on its other models. 

If you are looking for a turkey/duck gun, may I suggest the Stoeger M3020.  I found one in black at a gunstore yesterday in the $470 range. 

ssmith6

The new 20ga SA459 actually takes the standard Invector (Winchoke, Moss 500) chokes. For some reason I think the prior version did take Mobile style chokes.  Barrels are not chrome lined on the SA459 either.  I love mine...it consistently puts up high 150s low 160s with HW 7s and Sumtoy 562-5 choke.  Comes drilled and tapped with the picatinny rail.  Have a burris fastfire III on mine. 

g8rvet

My Weatherby is consistent high 160s with HW #7 and a Trulock Fed WH choke.  Very light, easy to point.  Little recoil.  I can't wpeak to durability,  but this gun will not be shot that much (compared to a waterfowl gun), so I am not too worried.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

gophert

Quote from: ssmith6 on April 07, 2015, 10:48:58 AM
The new 20ga SA459 actually takes the standard Invector (Winchoke, Moss 500) chokes. For some reason I think the prior version did take Mobile style chokes.  Barrels are not chrome lined on the SA459 either.  I love mine...it consistently puts up high 150s low 160s with HW 7s and Sumtoy 562-5 choke.  Comes drilled and tapped with the picatinny rail.  Have a burris fastfire III on mine.

Which model do you have the 2014 model with the high front sight or the new 2015 model with the normal sight and all realtree camo.  I just got the 2015 and do need to verify which choke it takes.  I had read the 2014 model takes benelli mobile, but have seen nothing on the 2015.  I just assumed they take the same.  Please advise.  Thanks!

ssmith6

I have the new 2015.  The 2014 and older did take mobile chokes but the new one is invector (winchoke, mossberg 500)

ssmith6

The fluted XF choke that it comes with is a .575 by the way also.  Mine did really great of with standard lead loads out to 30-35.  It did not like the heavyweights at all.  I got a .572 undertaker that did pretty good with the hw's (120s) but got the sumtoy and jumped to 160.  I bought a .560 kicks gt the other day but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

FL-Boss

I have the old version SA-459 and love it. I actually like the big awkward sights of the older model.
The SA-459 is a turkey machine - I have put up numbers close to 200 with mine with a Sumtoy.  For actual hunting...  .575 Carlson with Fed HW #7... deadly.

Full strut

I have a m2 that I use for everything so my vote goes to the m2. Don't look past an sx3 20 either. Heard through the grape vine it is the king of 20 gauge pattern wise.

FL-Boss

cutt down

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 08, 2015, 09:11:17 PM
I have the old version SA-459 and love it. I actually like the big awkward sights of the older model.
The SA-459 is a turkey machine - I have put up numbers close to 200 with mine with a Sumtoy.  For actual hunting...  .575 Carlson with Fed HW #7... deadly.

I have last year's model as well & mine puts up 180+/- with the SumToy 562-5 & 165+/- with the Rob Roberts 570.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

switched to benelli 20 and hw 7 and sumtoy 565-2  2 years ago and getting same numbers as others. couldn't be happier

Shed Antler

Just bought the Affinity this year. IMO the best autoloader out there for the money 802$ out the door.  I got the compact. Has all the stock adjusters you"ll need. 7 year warranty. NICE gun. Put a Carlsons 575 choke in it and it shoots several loads well. I will play with it more when I get the chance.

longislandloco

Yep, if I went auto it would be the Affinity 20GA, nice gun, very light, would also make a fantastic upland gun.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Full strut

i personally have a m2 20 and have nothing but good things to say about it. dont look past an sx3 20 though. that is a sweet piece right there!