OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

At a minimum what do I need to build a pot call?

Started by turkeykiller22, September 10, 2013, 10:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Okay let me first say that I have never EVER turned anything before. I would like to get into building some pot calls. I am not very talented when it come to building things either... My father can do a lot of things, but building is not one of them so I havent had too many people to teach me.

So with that being said what would I need at a minimum to turn some pot calls. I have plenty of places to get wood from, I just need some tools!! Also, where can I get them? How much are they going to run me?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

WillowRidgeCalls

There are two ways of making pot calls. 1. use a lathe and turning tools to turn them. 2. use a drill press and forestner bits to hollow them out. Tools that are needed which ever way you choose to build them with.

Lathe with a good Chuck and Turning Tools
Drill Press 1/2" chuck, 3/4 hp+
Belt Sander
Saw--Table Saw, Cross Cut Saw, Band Saw, Miter Saw?
Drill Bits and Forestner Bits
Glue
Surfaces--Glass, Slate, Alum, Copper?
Finishes

Patience, Money, and the Will to keep trying new and different things.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

pappy

I would suggest you do a net search on turning pot calls. As there are so many techniques and ideas on how to turn one you would have to chose accordingly to what you have to work with. The thing about making a pot on a drill press is consistency. Unless you have a multi-hundred dollar drill press with detailed measurement capabilities you be blowing upwind....turning on the lathe you can definitely be more precise in your measurements and have multiple choices of tools to make your pot with.
Basic lathe tools are a must, pick up a three piece set called Benjamen's Best they are like 40 bucks. There should be a parting tool, a gouge and round nose scraper in the set. Pick up a four jaw chuck from grizzly tools, they work fine and are not as expensive as some others. Pick up some sand paper, finishing stuff and you are about there. The lathe.....hummm...I use a NOVA DVR3000 from WoodCraft it will run you around 2300.00 now, but that is way too big for you to start on....I would get a Rikon mid sized lathe, again from Woodcraft, around 400.00 new, and if you explain to them what you want to do, they will help you select the right equipment right there on the floor.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

RizzardiCustomCalls

I remember making my first pot call. Let's see....I had a hand drill with a chuck I purchased to attach a blank of wood to the drill.  I managed to get a pot done on this setup...you did say minimum right?  lol  what a pain that was. The following week I had a bench top lathe in my shop and I promise I didn't pay much for it at harbor freight. I figured I would go the cheap route to see if I was going to stay interested in turning before I spent more on a good quality lathe.  Well....that was 6 years ago and I'm still using that harbor freight lathe.  I'll continue to use it until it burns up and then I'll get a better one,
but I can honestly say that the harbor freight lathe has not let me down yet.  It's only used for pot calls and strikers and an occasional grunt tube or duck call.  Would I like a better lathe? yes, but I refuse to buy one until this thing burns up.  It spins the blanks just fine for now. when it comes time for a new one...I'll probably go with a Jet.

outdoors

HARBOR FREIGHT. , X2

www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Mac Dietrich

Do some homework first and see what your budget is. I personally have made them 5 different ways on a lathe. The game call forums have all kinds of tutorials on them I know this becaus I've done several on THO game calls fourm. If I had to start all over I'd spend as much as you can on a lathe and get easy wood tools set and start with them. There the easiest to learn with turning wood and don't need sharping as you can just simply replace the cutter heads. Biggest thing is patience though because if you just jump into it you can easily start racking up lots of $ quickly.

West Augusta

I have made pot calls with a plunge router and bushings and a home made template. 
A band saw helps but a saber saw can cut out the blank.
The only limitations on HOW to make a call is your imagination and patience.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mmclain

purchase a book on wood turning ....look at bowl work and center work books.........this will save you a lot of time and some bad learning experiences.......lathe tools can be center work or bowl work oriented...... and using the wrong tool will end in an oh $h!t moment....and you'll understand real quick why the book told you not to use that tool for the task....

choose tools specific to the job and don't buy sets of tools.... a big waste of $$$

the lathe will be the cheapest expense.....ask yourself ?  are you willing to spend 1000.00 to make the first call?  if not find the closest wood turning club and ask for some help and time on a lathe....

Matt