OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling up the hen

Started by yelpy, May 06, 2017, 01:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

Let's here what calls worked the best for you to call up the hens in the spring.

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Bowhuntr73

KentuckyHeadhunter

For hens the calls that worked the best for me this year was Darren Dawkins stoned aluminum in the plastic pot and a Permar model .45.  I called in a LOT of hens this year. 
Here's a short video I filmed just after using these two calls....

https://youtu.be/ourxj7QMwfo
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

outdoors

SEVERAL YEARS AGO I PURCHASED A
Holei  One Sider Box Call -  "DROP DEAD" Series
THE WOOD HE USED TO MAKE IT WAS OLD GROWTH PINE .........
AND , NO LIE , EVERY TIME WHEN I USE THIS CALL
ONLY HENS SHOW UP . CONFUSING AS ALL HECK.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: outdoors on May 06, 2017, 05:38:58 PM
SEVERAL YEARS AGO I PURCHASED A
Holei  One Sider Box Call -  "DROP DEAD" Series
THE WOOD HE USED TO MAKE IT WAS OLD GROWTH PINE .........
AND , NO LIE , EVERY TIME WHEN I USE THIS CALL
ONLY HENS SHOW UP . CONFUSING AS ALL HECK.

I feel your pain but in truth that is what makes a great call.  It is harder to fool a hen sometimes.  It is frustrating as heck, yes!  In my video posted above I was hoping for a gobbler in tow.  Last year it was jakes and this year it was hens.  I hate turkeys.  Sometimes. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Dtrkyman

Blodgett double trouble, always run the slate side. Has been my meat call since 2003!!!

doublespurs21

no matter what I use, a hen will come in on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,, happen last week  again..

skimerhorn

Birds have been weird this year responding to calls in my are, but my atomic 13 has done the best

yelpy

Keep them coming. A lot of guys don't think of calling to the hens in the spring but it can really pay off. The most success I have had calling up hens throughout the years is with a hooks diaphragm call. It didn't really seem to matter much what call I had in and when soft talking.

Coop1082

Seemed I saw the most hens this year while running a Hank's Padauk Aluminum. Also was the death of two birds so it was pretty solid on the boys as wel!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]