News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wow, tss

Started by knightrider, February 27, 2018, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penna shooter

Quote from: compton30 on March 01, 2018, 04:59:23 AM
I always think TSS is a great idea, and then I remember the price! 2 bucks a shot for Longbeards vs 10 bucks a pop for TSS? No brainer.
Are these TSS better than Hevi-13 magnum Blend????
Like to know the price difference?
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

coyote1

I just shoot longbeards. They will kill farther than i care to shoot.

compton30

Quote from: penna shooter on March 01, 2018, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: compton30 on March 01, 2018, 04:59:23 AM
I always think TSS is a great idea, and then I remember the price! 2 bucks a shot for Longbeards vs 10 bucks a pop for TSS? No brainer.
Are these TSS better than Hevi-13 magnum Blend????
Like to know the price difference?

I've never fired a round of TSS, because as previously noted, it's a 10 dollar bill flying out the end of the barrel with each squeeze of the trigger. That being said, I'd say the general consensus is that TSS is a superior product to Hevi-13. That's just from what I've read around here, anyway.

penna shooter

Always someone trying to ONE-UP the other....$10.00 bills flying out your barrel....So right.  Priced more than fuel for your truck...
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

Gobble!

Quote from: penna shooter on March 02, 2018, 04:23:08 AM
Always someone trying to ONE-UP the other....$10.00 bills flying out your barrel....So right.  Priced more than fuel for your truck...

Everyone throws around that $10 number a lot. Let's look at it.

Let me start with I'm not a smart man. I shoot a 2.5oz TSS load, not smart financially but I really like overkill. I can load this shell for $8.15. If I buy a box of 2.25oz Hevi13 Magnum Blends from Cabelas they cost $6.60 a shell, assumes nothing for shipping. My 2.5oz loads will put up giant numbers compared to that Hevi13 shell. I put 500 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Most shooting the Magnum Blends are in the what 250s? For me the increased performance is worth the extra $1.55 per shell.

Now if I was a smart man I would load 1.625oz of TSS in a 20 gauge. This would cost me $5.48 per shell and will out pattern and out perform any non-TSS shell available for a 12 gauge. Better performance and saves me $1.12 per shell over the 2.25oz Magnum Blends. The 2oz Magnum Blends are $5.80 per shells. 

I haven't shot it yet but I plan to shoot a 1.125oz load this Sunday. I'm certain for $3.87 per shell it will do all I need it to and more at 40 yards.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gobble! on March 02, 2018, 09:49:45 AM
Quote from: penna shooter on March 02, 2018, 04:23:08 AM

Let me start with I'm not a smart man. I shoot a 2.5oz TSS load, not smart financially but I really like overkill. I can load this shell for $8.15. If I buy a box of 2.25oz Hevi13 Magnum Blends from Cabelas they cost $6.60 a shell, assumes nothing for shipping. My 2.5oz loads will put up giant numbers compared to that Hevi13 shell. I put 500 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Most shooting the Magnum Blends are in the what 250s? For me the increased performance is worth the extra $1.55 per shell.

Now if I was a smart man I would load 1.625oz of TSS in a 20 gauge. This would cost me $5.48 per shell and will out pattern and out perform any non-TSS shell available for a 12 gauge. Better performance and saves me $1.12 per shell over the 2.25oz Magnum Blends. The 2oz Magnum Blends are $5.80 per shells. 

I haven't shot it yet but I plan to shoot a 1.125oz load this Sunday. I'm certain for $3.87 per shell it will do all I need it to and more at 40 yards.

I have been loading 1-5/8 ounce tss 9s for the last 4 or 5 years.They absolutely destroy gobblers. This year I upped  the payload to 3" 1-7/8 ounces. Im not a smart man either lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bbcoach

Gobble, I understand where your coming from.  But when talking about TSS, I believe we should talk Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges.  Most aren't setup to reload.  They buy shells over the counter and $10 to $12 is the going rate for 12 gauge for TSS, Hevi-13 $5-$6 and around $2 for Longbeards (all will kill turkeys).  Most of us will agree, turkey hunting is about getting birds in close (inside 40 yards).  Interacting with them and hearing the spitting, drumming and gobbling at close range.  Getting hens to commit to 3-5 yards and stare at you for 5 minutes, all the while trying to figure out what you are.  12 gauge TSS, allows for that, but also raises the bar greatly for range.  For some, it will be a license to extend their range and make this a trophy sport, not an excitement sport.  For 20 and .410 gun owners, TSS has leveled the playing field with 12 gauge loads.  Personally I don't want TSS to turn the excitement of turkey hunting into turkey sniping.  By the way, I bet a 1 1/4 oz 20 gauge load in TSS would be extremely devastating inside 40.   

Gobble!

Quote from: bbcoach on March 02, 2018, 11:21:42 AM
Gobble, I understand where your coming from.  But when talking about TSS, I believe we should talk Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges.  Most aren't setup to reload.  They buy shells over the counter and $10 to $12 is the going rate for 12 gauge for TSS, Hevi-13 $5-$6 and around $2 for Longbeards (all will kill turkeys).  Most of us will agree, turkey hunting is about getting birds in close (inside 40 yards).  Interacting with them and hearing the spitting, drumming and gobbling at close range.  Getting hens to commit to 3-5 yards and stare at you for 5 minutes, all the while trying to figure out what you are.  12 gauge TSS, allows for that, but also raises the bar greatly for range.  For some, it will be a license to extend their range and make this a trophy sport, not an excitement sport.  For 20 and .410 gun owners, TSS has leveled the playing field with 12 gauge loads.  Personally I don't want TSS to turn the excitement of turkey hunting into turkey sniping.  By the way, I bet a 1 1/4 oz 20 gauge load in TSS would be an extremely devastating inside 40.   

Agree, I am talking specifically about loading my own. Just wanted to make it clear that when someone says they are shooting TSS it does not mean they are spending $10-$12 a shot. Based on the costs from Apex and Nitro it is even easier to justify loading your own.

If you want apples to apples with the current Federal rebates your looking a $8.00 a shell for their 2.25 oz load. That's still only $1.40 more than a Magnum Blend shell. Based on what I've seen so far with the Federal shells I still believe the 1.75oz load will out perform the Magnum Blends at only $6.00 a shell.

I would disagree that TSS is raising the bar GREATLY for range. Apex, Nitro, and Federal have all taken the high road and not advertised their shells for 75 yards as Hevi13 did or 66 yards as Winchester did with their Long Beards. I don't believe from a percentages stand point there will be a large increase in the amount of people shooting at birds at stupid distances.

Spurs Up

Gobble! wrote:
[/quote]

Let me start with I'm not a smart man. I shoot a 2.5oz TSS load, not smart financially but I really like overkill. I can load this shell for $8.15...
[/quote]

You just might get your 12 ga/2.5 oz per shell cost down to $8.15 if you're hand loading a relatively simple recipe (without fillers), load a crap-tonne of shells, and discount or amortize your loading equipment and accessories over a long period of time.  Maybe after a few hundred shells if you're lucky. As you sort of suggest, anybody that claims to hand load TSS to save $$$ (not pointing fingers) is fooling themselves. We do it for lots of different reasons other than cost savings...

Gobble!

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 02, 2018, 06:51:34 PM

You just might get your 12 ga/2.5 oz per shell cost down to $8.15 if you're hand loading a relatively simple recipe (without fillers), load a crap-tonne of shells, and discount or amortize your loading equipment and accessories over a long period of time.  Maybe after a few hundred shells if you're lucky. As you sort of suggest, anybody that claims to hand load TSS to save $$$ (not pointing fingers) is fooling themselves. We do it for lots of different reasons other than cost savings...

I bought 5lbs of shot and got a good price, Hal's the man. It's a pretty simple recipe. No discount on loading ingredients. That number doesn't include any up front costs like a roll crimper or shell vice, just the stuff that goes into each shell. Trying to depreciate up front costs for loading tools would be confusing. I'll double check my spreadsheet formulas but pretty confident in the $8.15. Could probably say it's less than that if I counted using reclaimed shot from a shot trap. Only way someone could say they do it for a cost savings is if they are comparing it to buying new from Apex/Nitro. I think I could work up the justification pretty quick once I get in front of Excel. But I didn't get into this to save money that's for sure!