turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

choke suggestions for 870 w/ 21" barrel

Started by holtspur, February 28, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holtspur

My dad just traded for one and needs a choke. Taking suggestions.

357MAGNOLE

Assuming its in a 20 gauge...

Carlsons .575 seems to be a common winner for the 20 gauge guns. Also Sumtoy which I have yet to try in mine and might not bother. The Carlsons seems hard to improve on.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tom Foolery

If it's a 12 gauge I'd go .650-.660

Mine is a Kicks .660, shoots hevishot and lead great.

mullo16

I had an Indian creek BDS in mine. It throwed some great patterns with mag blend and lonbeard xr.  Also had hevi shot choke that was really good to.  I have recently just got a Winchester sxp and tried jebs choke and it has thrown the best patterns yet. But don't know how they do in 870. But I figure they would do great. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: holtspur on February 28, 2016, 09:12:19 PM
My dad just traded for one and needs a choke. Taking suggestions.

There are several chokes that I can recommend from personal experience and that of my readers. The Wright's #3, SSX and the JEB's .650 will all do an excellent job in that gun with a variety of shotshells, including WLB and Hevi-13 shells.

As you know, a 21" barrel can be more "challenging" to get the type of patterns that we now expect but either one of those chokes will certainly help get the job done.

I do recommend that you have him "deep clean" the bore, as that will help as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."